06, GOTHAM'S ORPHANAGE

CHAPTER 06; GOTHAM'S ORPHANAGE

The door burst open loudly, startling Mariane awake. "RISE AND—"

"—shine. Five minutes, please," Mariane mumbled, recognizing the familiar voice and dramatic entrance without even opening her eyes.

Despite the regularity of such wake-up calls, Mariane hadn't quite gotten used to them, even though it was almost the end of the week. Swiftly, she got up, not bothering to open her eyes. Evelynn had escorted her to her old room, and everything was exactly where it used to be. Evelynn revealed that Alfred made sure to clean her room daily to prevent dust from piling up.

Evelynn and Alfred took the time to update Mariane on the happenings at Wayne Manor, detailing the schedule for morning and night activities. They particularly emphasised the nightly patrols and missions that Mariane was expected to be a part of.

They even keep track of Dick and Jason's personal missions, especially Jason's since he lives nearby.

"Come on, sleepyhead! Wake up!" Evelynn opened the curtains wide, flooding the room with brightness. The brunette groaned in annoyance, forcing herself to open her eyes.

"Good morning, Ms. Strange. Breakfast—"

"Thank you, Alfred. I'll be down in minutes."

"No, Ms. Strange. I brought breakfast for you."

As Mariane's eyes cleared, she saw Alfred standing at her desk with a tray. He had his back turned to her.

Well, that's new.

"Oh, thanks, Alfred."

"No problem, Ms. Strange."

She watched Alfred leave her room before turning her attention back to the blonde girl sitting at the edge of her bed.

"What's the plan for today?" Mariane asked.

Evelynn's smile widened. "Glad you ask. We'll be stuck in the hospital all day."

A few days ago, Evelynn had shared with Mariane her plans after Mariane left. Evelynn wanted to expand her pet clinic and suggested opening a hospital. She sought advice from Bruce, and somehow they ended up planning to open a hospital focused on helping the poor.

Together, they launched Wayne General Hospital, with six floors, right next to the pet clinic, which was now a three-floor pet hospital connected to the main facility. Bruce and Evelynn co-owned the hospital, currently employing about 200 staff.

Although Mariane's main responsibility was animals, there were times when she was needed for human medicine. Recognizing this, she took courses at the hospital to be prepared.

Mariane sighed. "It's going to be a long day ahead."

"Indeed," Evelynn said, patting her leg. "So, better have a big breakfast. I'll see you downstairs."

Mariane watched Evelynn skip out of her room, and once the door clicked shut, she sighed softly, sitting up, her legs touching the floor.

Her eyes fell on the framed picture of herself with the Bat siblings.

:・゚✧:・.☽˚。・゚✧:・.::・゚✧:・.☽˚。・゚✧:・.: 

Evelynn didn't lie about having to spend the entire day at the hospital. The place was so packed that Mariane resorted to using magic to heal the pets secretly, despite knowing that Evelynn preferred scientific methods. It was already 8 in the evening, and Evelynn had left an hour ago for her night patrol as White-Arrow.