Chapter 5 - Race

Prapai's Pov

I can't believe the day I just had! I can't believe that Sky actually had lunch with me, and we talked. I'm happy-ish. Things were good, but they weren't perfect. There was that waitress. I try not to judge because we never know the situation other people are in, but she did a poor job.

I'm still thinking about some reactions Sky had; he doesn't show that many emotions usually, but he seemed to be all over the place today. At the same time, he tried to look unbothered; he looked panicked and almost like he was having some kind of internal battle, and maybe he was. I don't know; he is still a big mystery, but things are starting to unravel themselves.

He really looked like he was about to start crying when I dropped him. He practically ran inside, and now I'm here, leaning against my car, thinking and waiting for my body to move so I can go home.

I'm happy, but I wanted more. I wanted to laugh with him and listen to his concerns. I want him to trust me and tell me things, but I don't know how. I only trust my family; I never had to really trust anyone else, but I want to trust Sky, and I want him to trust me. I guess we'll both have to learn.

He was definitely more open for conversation, and it was so nice getting to know him a little better. I can see he is someone with wounds that haven't healed yet, and the ones that did left him with more than one scar. On top of that, he looked so tired... I wonder if he has that much work to do or if he is one of those people who just can't sleep. I definitely need to keep an eye on him in case something happens.

I finally get in the car. I need to go home and talk to Dada. Today is a run day, and I have missed those, but I definitely need to win today. I always win, but I don't want to get too confident.

Once I get home, I go to the office, and I knock. If there is one thing I learned, it is to always knock when Dada and Papa are alone in the office. Gosh, my eyes hurt just thinking about it.

"Come in!" I hear Dada say excited "So, do I have a new son already?" he asks, and I open a little smile

"Baby steps, Dada, baby steps." I say, sitting in one of the big chairs in front of them "What's the plan for tonight?"

"Win, son, always win." Papa says with that tricky smile of his

"Of course. Dada trained me well. I'll win."

"Tell us about your date, then." Dada asks excited

"Porsche!" Papa says, but Dada just ignores him and keeps looking at me

"It was a little step. I think he is getting used to me, and that's good. We talked about ourselves; we ate good food, and then I dropped him off so he could go and study."

"You don't look satisfied with that..." Papa points out

"It's not that. I just wanted more. He seems like such an interesting and educated person, but he barely lets me know him." I say and take a deep breath "It's like he is sassy, but at the same time he is fragile... How do I explain this?"

"Oh, you don't need to explain, son; I know just what you're talking about..." Papa says, looking at Dada. "Be persistent. He just needs some more time to open up to you."

"Yes. I hope you're right."

"Anyway, your focus tonight should be on winning every race. People heard about what happened last week, and they want to see how you are. They'll test you. This is the moment you prove to them that you aren't going to be in charge just because you are our son. You are going to lead this because you worked for it and you deserve it."