Chapter Thirteen: Maxwell

He was numb

He was numb. It's as plain and simple as that. His worse nightmare had come true.

James had triggered his werewolf curse.

It was an accident. He was out with Christopher and Rowan when they saw a man forcefully dragging a girl away and the three of them ran after him. They started to beat him and James had dealt the fatal blow. James had fallen to the ground and Christopher and Rowan was looking at him concerned until the blonde's head snapped up and his iris were gold.

Ever since that night, he had been terrified of his first full moon. As a crescent wolf, he would have to control over his transformation, except for his first one. He honestly thought that he would never trigger his curse, but he triggered it by trying to save someone's life.

Today was the dreaded day. Everyone was walking on eggshells around the boy not wanting to make him any more upset than he was, both Christopher, Harper, and Rowan had offered to be there with him but he turned them down. He felt that it was his cross to bear alone. It was his punishment.

He was out deep in the woods of Charlotte where no one would go. He had on in short and a sleeveless shirt, his crescent birthmark on display on the back of his shoulder. He heard rustling and immediately turned around, seeing Maxwell standing there with a bag.

"Did you really think I was going to let you go through this alone?" Max questioned the blonde he had grown to love as a son.

"Honestly? Yes. Because all my life I never put first. I lived forever in the shadow of my sister, and it hurt. I honestly thought no one would ever be here to help me through my first transformation. I didn't want to get Christopher, Rowan, and Harper involved because I already screwed up their lives enough." The blonde admitted.

"Hey, you're family now James. You don't have to be a Mikaelson anymore. Be a Howlett. And we'll always put you first." Max reasoned and watched as the moon started to show.

"I don't want to be a burden, Mimi and I don't want to be burden you and everyone else." The boy cried, his eyes starting to turn yellow.

"You aren't a burden James. None of you are. We love having you around. You two and Fun complete this family." The hybrid told him.

James cried as his ankle broke. He could feel all of his bones mangling into odd positions. He was now on the ground screaming in pain. Max was right there coaching him through it.

"You're halfway there. Let it consume you, think about nothing but running free." Max told him.

"Dad, it hurts so bad! Dad, make it stop!" He cried as his teeth sharpened into their wolf-like fangs.

"You're almost there champ, the pain will stop soon." He reassured as tears came to eyes when he called him dad.

With a final scream and then a feral growl James had turned into a blonde wolf. He looked at Maxwell who gave him a smile.

"You did it, kiddo." He whispered and watched as he backed up and began to run free in his wolf form.

He followed behind him and watched how he looked around at everything. Seeing everything with your wolf eyes, and senses was an amazing experience.

After about four hours in his wolf form, James began to shift back. Maxwell placed a blanket over him and waited for him to finish shifting back.

"That was so surreal. You were right. It felt so freeing to be in my wolf form." James said as he regained full awareness.

Maxwell chuckled and handed him some sweatpants and a t-shirt so he could put some clothes on and turned around to give him some privacy.

After a few minutes he saw the blonde walk up to him and smiled.

"Thank you for helping me with this. I know I said this earlier but I wanted to tell you that I see you as a dad. I never really had a dad before. I mean I had my Uncle Kol, Uncle Elijah, Uncle Carlisle, and Marcel but they're my uncle's and brother..." James rambled before being cut off by Max chuckling.

"It's fine, you don't need to explain yourself. I see you as a son and I see Mimi as daughter. I meant it when I said you were a part of this family. You don't have to be a Mikaelson anymore. You can be a Howlett. I know Sarah sees you and the girl as her own too." Maxwell told him.

James didn't hesitate for a single moment to hug him. He hugged him back just as tight.

"Thanks, Dad."

"It's no problem at all champ."