»»» 𝔦𝔦.𝔦

✠ ——— ✠ ——— ✠ ——— ✠

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

Michael Castello loved the mornings.

A lot of people didn't believe this about him, but it was true.

Michael liked waking up and feeling calm, knowing that the sun was right outside his window should he need a little warmth on a cold day.

Michael liked breakfast—it was his favorite meal of the day because breakfast foods were special. The world said that you couldn't have breakfast foods any other time of the day. In a way, they were forbidden—and Michael loved forbidden things.

Michael also liked to socialize. Casual conversation and companionship were things he valued, especially when he was surrounded by some of his favorite people.

So, waking up, making breakfast, and eating in the Canteen with a few of his colleagues was one of the best ways he would like to spend his mornings.

It was not, however, the way Truth Castello liked to spend her mornings.

Don't get it wrong—Truth loved the mornings as well. She liked waking up next to her cat, relishing in the silence in her head as she put on a good playlist and prepared a meal for one. Breakfast was also one of her favorite meals, which Michael liked to say was because of his influence.

But, Truth Castello did not like to socialize. She was happier alone, with a couple exceptions, and, granted, her reasoning for wanting to be alone was understandable when you were privy to the thoughts and emotions of everyone within a certain radius.

Because of this, Michael never pushed her too much to go to the Canteen with him. He knew enough people to fulfill his want for casual conversation, and he would usually break into his sister's apartment to see her sometime later in the day anyway.

So, one could imagine Michael Castello's surprise when he saw his sister sitting alone at a table in the Canteen, her feet propped up on the edge. In fact, he did a double take. She was already staring at him with a hint of a smile on her face and gestured with a finger for him to come over.

He set his plate of pancakes on the table and sat on his sister's left before facing her head on.

"What are you doing here?" he demanded.

Truth, undisturbed by his tone of voice, studied the contents of his plate. She picked up his fork to take a bite of his side of eggs.

"Good morning to you, too," she said.

But Michael wasn't going to be easily deterred.

"I thought you didn't like the Canteen."

"I don't," she answered. Taking another bite, she nodded and set the fork down. "This is good."