»»» 𝔦𝔦𝔦.𝔦𝔳

✠ ——— ✠ ——— ✠ ——— ✠

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐤𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐨𝐧

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

Truth knocked on the door to announce herself, then opened it without invitation, knowing the room was empty save for the man she wanted to see.

The same man who would only tolerate that kind of behavior from a handful of people.

"He's in his office," Director Fury informed without looking up from the file he was inspecting. "I'm surprised that wasn't your first stop."

Truth shrugged despite the fact he couldn't see it. She was certain his sixth sense could feel it, though. She and Michael had always suspected that Fury had more than a few tricks up his sleeve.

"Thought it wouldn't hurt to say hi," she replied. "Make sure you're still alive in here."

"That's what Agent Hill is for. You Castelloes need to leave me alone and let me do my job."

Truth grinned.

"And, leaving you alone is not in our job description. See you later, boss."

"Hopefully not too soon."

A moment later, Truth found herself in front of yet another office, only this time labeled as the office of Dr. Clarke Castello. She did their knock—three slow, three fast—and let herself in.

Dr. Castello looked up from his tablet, face mirroring the large grin spreading across Truth's face. They didn't look much alike in the moment, what with the older Castello still undercover, but Truth always recognized him—her savior, the one who taught her that pain and suffering wasn't all there was in the world—no matter what face he wore.

"Ah," Clarke said with delight as he stood to give her a hug, one she accepted without hesitation. "My favorite."

Truth perked up at those words.

"Can I tell Michael you said—"

"No," he chided gently. "You're my favorite niece and he's my favorite nephew. So—"

"We're both your favorites," Truth finished with an eye roll. She withdrew from their hug to level him with her frown. "You're no fun."

Clarke patted her shoulder affectionately.

"So you say, kamári mou (my pride). I heard about your op in Brazil. Absolutely flawless."

Truth smiled proudly under the praise, leaning on her toes for a moment like a child. She'd never heard such words growing up, but her uncle had worked hard to rectify that the last seven years. And still, it made her giddy when he did.

"Thank you, Thíos (uncle). Didn't even break a sweat."

Clarke laughed.