»»» 𝔳𝔦𝔦.𝔦𝔦𝔦

trigger warnings: blood, ptsd, panic attacks

✠ ——— ✠ ——— ✠ ——— ✠

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐨𝐨𝐦

━━━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━━━

The next time Natasha Romanoff saw Truth Castello, two days had passed since Clint and Michael went undercover with Coulson as their handler.

She had heard her voice first. Somehow, in the hubbub of the chaotic training room, where several spars, wielded weapons, and side conversations were occurring simultaneously, Natasha had managed to pinpoint the soft, melodic voice of Truth Castello and latch onto it as though it were the last drops of water in the desert.

Natasha turned from her target practice, pushing aside her red curls to better see through the throng of moving bodies. She doubted her hearing for a moment, as there wasn't much of a reason for the other assassin to be there. Even Natasha tried to avoid the training room when it got this populated, but she'd been there before the multitude of young, energetic, trainees had walked in, and she'd make sure she stayed until she was ready to leave.

It wasn't a formal class. Sometimes the agents-in-training came to the Triskelion to practice and hone in the skills their trainers worked hard to cultivate, putting in the time and effort to make their dreams of working for S.H.I.E.L.D. come true. They were eager and innocent, and sometimes Natasha wondered at the feeling of having such ambitious, lifelong dreams come true.

Before she could come to the conclusion that she might really be losing it, though, she caught the string of a conversation near the front of the room.

"In other words, you think we're wasting our time?"

"Nothing is a waste if you use it wisely," came Truth's reply. "I don't think it's necessary to dig deeper, but if you want me to interrogate him again, I can. Maybe you'll find something I missed."

"You never miss." It was another female voice, though not one Natasha recognized. "Which is why I want your actual opinion, not the people-pleasing one."

Another agent passed by Truth with a greeting at the exact moment that Natasha managed to spot her dark curls and tall figure standing beside an Asian woman with similar dark hair and stern features. 

"Morning," was all the Castello said in response, completely focused on analyzing the file in her hand. She seemed oblivious to Natasha's attention, though perhaps not completely unaware considering her abilities, Natasha realized.

Truth turned back to the other woman, flicking her hair back out of her face as she did.

"If it were me, I wouldn't try anything else. You have what you need, including every possible piece of evidence to convince a jury of his guilt. But, again, it's completely reasonable for you to want to make sure. I only ask that you come up with an answer sooner rather than later, because I can't be positive if I'll be able to do it later."

"Fury gave you an assignment?"

"Not yet, but I have a feeling he might," she answered distractedly, once again viewing another section of the file. "Why?"