CHAPTER 9 - Reunion

They set off in a seemingly modest carriage, with little adornment on the outside, but comfortable and luxurious on the inside. Arture summoned two of his most trusted guards to accompany him, Arian and Brethen on the journey, and the five of them left the palace gates as the sky began to change colour, heralding the arrival of a new day.

Brethen hated the jolting of the carriage – she infinitely preferred horseback riding – but the journey proceeded without incidents throughout the morning, with a pause for stretching legs and lunch, and then on through the afternoon. The roads were busy, but nothing impeded the flow of travellers. Arian ensured they could spend the night at Lord Samiton's property, close to Brethen's parents' home.

She had anticipated a quick visit, probably without much excitement, but still, Brethen was nervous. Her palms were sweaty, even with the cool day outside the carriage, and she tried to restrain herself from shaking her leg. At times she failed, and Arian interrupted the frantic movement by placing a gloved hand on Brethen's knee.

In those moments, the prince didn't need to say anything. His gaze already conveyed everything. It will be okay. I'm with you. And Brethen knew it was true, but that didn't do much to calm her nerves. The constant churning in her stomach caused by the swaying carriage didn't help.

The village of Sagossa perched atop a mountain, offering a privileged view of the Valley of the Saints just below. Once an important trading spot for merchants, it had later become home to one of the largest street markets in eastern Pratoria. Surrounded by farms, from small family-owned properties to vast lands with high fences owned by wealthy men, the place held its history.

They had to traverse the entire village, exit from the other side, and then turn onto a narrow road bordered by small farms and gardens until they reached a fork marked by a huge mango tree. Taking the right turn, as a kind merchant had informed them in the city, led them to a quaint property surrounded by hills, with a stone house situated in the middle. A sign next to the gate displayed the owners' surname: ACADIA.

The carriage stopped before the gate, and Arian asked Arture and the other guards to wait there. Arian and Brethen stepped out and walked toward the property. From a distance, near the little house, someone spotted them. The sun was low, making it hard to see, but Brethen knew it was a young man who ran inside shouting, "Dad! There are people outside!"

The gate was secured only by a rope, so Brethen took the liberty to open a passage for her and Arian. As they walked toward the house, more figures joined the young man outside. There were four of them, and Brethen knew exactly who each of them was.

"I think you should wait here," she whispered to Arian, and he stopped without arguing. Brethen held his gaze for a moment, appreciating the familiarity exuding from the slight smile on the prince's lips. No matter what happened next, he would be there. And then she proceeded alone.

There they were, her father, her mother, and her two middle brothers. Brethen stopped a few meters away from them. "It's her!" Benedit whispered to Bernart, or at least Brethen assumed she hadn't mixed up the names, considering the twins were identical. Benedit always preferred slightly longer hair than his brother, and that's what Brethen used to tell them apart.

"Hi," Brethen said because she didn't know what else to say. "Mom, Dad. It's been a while."

Lazaro, Brethen's father, was the first to move. With wide eyes and furrowed eyebrows – much grayer than she remembered – he approached his daughter. "You dare to show your face here after so long?" he said.

Brethen had expected that, so she swallowed hard and turned her gaze to her mother. "Hello, Mom," she said. "You look well."

Eminia, Brethen's mother, had a very different expression from her husband. There was an intense gleam in her eyes, like tears about to overflow. She approached Brethen slowly, her long hair braided down her back, and touched her daughter's arms, having to lift her chin to look her in the eyes.