CHAPTER 10 - Afection

Lord Samiton welcomed them to his luxurious estate, which was about an hour's ride from Brethen's parents' house. Even with the prince's unannounced arrival along with his small entourage, Lord Samiton and his family received the group with a hearty meal and warm beds.

The next morning, once again, the group set out before the first rays of the sun. It would be about seven hours to Basken's house, and, as Brethen had imagined, having already visited her parents had significantly reduced her anxiety. She still didn't fully understand why her family hadn't contacted her while she was in Bastat, but it undoubtedly had to do with her father's resentment. He had always seen Brethen as a burden, and she had left without giving anything in return.

What troubled her more, however, was why Basken had never written. He surely would have acted behind their father's back if given the chance. Brethen had some theories, but she would have to ask him in person.

The forecast was to arrive at Basken's house just after noon, but a fallen tree on the road delayed the journey by almost two hours. The temperature had risen dramatically overnight, following an intense gust of wind that began shortly after they arrived at Lord Samiton's house. The dry and cool weather of the past months had been replaced by stifling humidity.

When they finally reached the village of Almania, a quiet coastal community built on the edge of a cliff, the horizon was dark, indicating the approach of torrential rain. With the guidance of some village residents, it was easy to find Basken's house.

It was a red-brick house, slightly larger than her parents'. It was at the end of a little road lined with similar houses, all simple yet charming. The houses were spaced out, surrounded by vast lawns and many trees, and Basken's house was the last of them, at the foot of a hill covered in dense forest. The house almost disappeared among the vegetation.

Once again, the carriage stopped before the gate, and Brethen and Arian got off. As they approached the entrance, a little boy appeared at the end of the stone path leading to the house. He was about five years old, with fair skin and a head crowned with dark curls. Brethen waved to the little boy, who stared at them for a few seconds before running inside.

"Do you mind waiting here again?" Brethen asked Arian. He nodded and squeezed her hand reassuringly.

The gate was open, so Brethen pushed it and entered. The S-shaped stone path ended right at the front door. Before she could even knock, the door opened.

And there he was. Basken, the same tall figure with dark hair and tanned skin that Brethen remembered. Before either of them said anything, Brethen felt tears welling up in her throat.

"Brethen?" Basken asked, his dark eyes wide and his mouth slightly open.

Brethen didn't trust her own words, so she took a step forward and hugged her brother, wrapping her arms around his waist as she used to when they were children. And he reciprocated the gesture instantly.

"I can't believe it," he said against her hair, and Brethen gave up holding back the tears.

"I missed you so much," she sobbed, and Basken hugged her tighter.

"I missed you too, little one," he said. "I missed you too."

Basken told Brethen that he distanced himself from the family shortly after her departure. After Suzania's death, he felt the need to start a new life, away from their father's gaze.

Lazaro had never been physically violent with his children, and in the few moments when he showed some affection, it was solely directed at Eminia. The familiar coldness turned into bitterness after Suzania's death and Brethen's departure, making life much harder for all the siblings. If Lazaro was once a strict and distant man, he now became a heavy cloud hovering over everyone, and Basken soon realized that it was not good for him.