CHAPTER 14 - Words

The map room was a spacious, high-ceilinged chamber with narrow windows covered by curtains and a large table in the center, occupied by a massive map of Pratoria. It was where King Gavin awaited the participants of that evening's meeting.

Arian and Brethen were the first to arrive, followed by Captain Alma, accompanied by the second lieutenant — Arture was the first lieutenant and was unable to attend. After a few minutes, the three council members arrived together: Lady Alana, representing House Caelix, Lord Syfas, representing House Amon, and Dom Julius, who was a priest and representative of House Magnar.

"We can no longer deny," King Gavin said, "that the Shadow Tide is back and poses a real threat. There was an attempt on my life, and now on my son's. We have reason to believe that individuals within the palace may be involved. This is just the beginning of something much larger."

"We have a prisoner in our custody," Captain Alma added, "but, so far, we've discovered very little. We conducted a new interrogation with the man under the influence of a hallucinogenic drug this afternoon. He didn't say much, but we got a name: Salazar."

"Is that all?" Arian asked.

"The problem with this type of interrogation is that we only get fragments. The subject doesn't make coherent statements. He repeated this name a few times and also spoke of mountains and waves. Kept repeating, 'Not even the mountains resist the force of the waves. The Tide is rising...' and then mumbled more unintelligible things and started over. We'll try again tomorrow."

"And this name, 'Salazar'?" Dom Julius intervened. "Is there anyone in the palace with that name?"

"We've checked," Alma shook her head. "There's no employee or resident with that name, at least not registered."

Brethen looked at Arian, standing beside her. His jaw clenched, fists tightened. He wanted to say something he couldn't express in front of everyone in the room. He wanted to offer to help using magic.

"We'll triple the palace security and conduct searches," the king's eyes roamed across the faces in the room. "From what we know of the Shadow Tide, based on what we've seen in the past, they operate in branches. I've summoned my spymaster to join the investigations. He arrives next week."

Arian took a step forward and said, "Father, have the farm attacks been investigated?"

"Yes," Alma answered. "Captain Jordan is coordinating the investigations."

"They must be connected to all of this. And the raids on villages near the border too."

King Gavin frowned, confused. "What do you mean?"

Arian shifted his gaze to Brethen, letting her take the lead.

"My hometown was attacked a few years ago," She explained, searching the map for the region where the village was. When she found it, she pointed to the spot. "At the time, I didn't understand what it meant, but I saw the symbol of the Shadow Tide carved on a door."

"Attacks like these were also common behaviour of the old Shadow Tide," Arian explained, "to raise funds and finance the movement. They've been operating under our noses for years."

"This is very serious!" Lord Syfas exclaimed. He was a tall, thin man with impeccably gray hair and a well-trimmed beard.

"That's what we've been saying, Lord Syfas," Arian seemed to need to restrain himself from rolling his eyes. Then he turned to the king. "Father, I think we should postpone the engagement ball."

Everyone in the room started talking at once, except for Arian, Brethen, and Gavin. The king took a deep breath.

"We won't postpone anything," he said. "We can't show weakness at a time like this. We need to stand firm. The engagement will take place in ten days, as planned. With elaborate security protocols and all necessary measures, yes, but it will happen."