CHAPTER 21 - Darkness

The Starlit Hall was the second-largest ballroom in the palace and earned its name from the galaxy paintings on the vaulted ceiling. After reducing the guest list, it had been chosen as the venue for the prince's engagement ball.

A mezzanine circled the entire hall, from where dozens of guards watched everything attentively. There were staircases on each side, one for guests entering from the outside and another for those coming from inside the palace.

All the guests stood to witness the entrance of the royal family through one of the staircases. Brethen strained to scan the hall while walking alongside Fausto, but even the hollow of her eyes ached. Fortunately, she noticed that the other Champion seemed on high alert to any potential threats.

King Gavin positioned himself on the last flight of stairs, where the steps widened into a platform, and the rest of the royal family—the queen, the prince, the princess, and the king's mother—stopped a few steps behind him. Brethen and Fausto descended the remaining steps along the corner and positioned themselves near the platform, ready to act swiftly if necessary.

From there, Brethen saw the members of the Council, each at a table occupied by the families of the three major Houses. Amina was beside her mother, Lady Caelix, and her husband, Silas, smiling at Brethen. There was also a table further ahead occupied by Lady Belinda and her family. She looked radiant as always, wearing a cream-colored dress that contrasted with the darker tone of her skin. But Brethen also noticed something more—a tension in the young lady's posture, a rigid smile on her face.

The party had been going on for over an hour at this point, and the late entrance of the royal family had been calculated.

"Good evening," the king said, raising his hands for the musicians to lower the volume of their instruments. "Thank you for your presence on this historical night. Thirty years ago, it was my father standing where I am now, and I where my son stands. I was nervous, trembling like a twig, but as soon as my eyes landed on this woman," he turned to look at the queen with a passionate smile, "I forgot everything around me."

Brethen saw Prometia's face turn slightly red as she covered her mouth with her hand, hiding a shy giggle.

"That's why," the king continued, "I would like to invite Lady Belinda of House Justis to join us."

Applause filled the hall as Belinda calmly walked to the platform, standing beside Arian. They shared a brief, conspiratorial smile, and Brethen had to look away.

"Come forward," the king requested, and Arian and Belinda stood in the center of the platform, facing each other, holding hands. They knew what to do; they had rehearsed it that same afternoon. "Before all present here, and on behalf of the entire kingdom, I invite Lady Belinda Justis to join our family, as the betrothed of my son, Prince Arian Pratoris, and as the future queen of Pratoria, with the blessing of her family, also present here."

Belinda looked at her parents, who bowed deeply in response to the king's words.

"This is the first step of a union that will bear fruit, bring prosperity to our kingdom, and more love to our family. A round of applause for the betrothed!"

Once again, Gavin opened his arms, this time guiding the audience in a wave of applause. All present were smiling, their eyes raised toward Arian and Belinda, who still held each other's hands.

"Let's celebrate! The night is just beginning, and—"

Brethen didn't understand why the king stopped speaking suddenly, or why, out of nowhere, red blotches appeared on Arian's face. Or why the queen screamed. Or why she began to feel pricks in her chest, right where a coin-shaped amulet rested.