CHAPTER 16 - Message

Five days before the engagement party Arian and Belinda's schedule was busier than ever, which meant Brethen would have even less time to rest than usual. They travelled to nearby cities, visited nobility members, and attended local events, all with triple the usual number of guards.

Upon arriving at each new place, whether it was someone's house, Arian's sleeping quarters, or an event venue, Brethen and some of the guards conducted a thorough inspection to ensure there were no secret entrances or hiding places where an assassin could be waiting to strike. All of this needed to be done without raising suspicions, of course. As far as people knew, it was standard procedure, which wasn't always the case.

For four intense days, they slept little, travelled extensively, and, when not engaged in either of those activities, attended various social functions—charity events, inaugurations, birthday parties and official visits.

Every minute Brethen spent with Arian inside a carriage felt like her heart was about to leap out of her mouth. At any moment, another attack could occur, she thought. An ambush might be waiting for them at the destination. But despite all the paranoia, nothing happened. When the last day of the journey arrived, Brethen felt a mix of relief and anxiety.

"Today, we'll have lunch at Lady Janice's residence, followed by the signing of the Prevalence Treaty at the Crescent Council headquarters," Gael, Arian's personal secretary, announced. He was a man in his early thirties, of short stature and early stages of baldness. He always appeared tired, with dark circles around his eyes in contrast to his fair skin. Nevertheless, he was always the most energetic of them all. "After that, we'll have the parade, celebrating the city's bicentennial, scheduled to end around sunset."

The parade was Brethen's greatest concern. It wouldn't be the first they participated in since the start of their small tour, but it would be the largest, in a big city. The entire route would take almost two hours, not to mention the crowd, a perfect opportunity for an assassination attempt.

"The Guard has been in the city since yesterday," Arian said, looking at Belinda, but his words were directed to Brethen. "They're already inspecting everything and preparing security for the parade."

Belinda smiled gently, hands neatly folded in her lap. Everything about her was so polished that it became irritating. She was polite, kind, beautiful, and, on top of it all, very intelligent. Brethen watched from afar as she and Arian conversed for hours on end about any topic—anything but magic, of course.

"Dinner will be at the Merchants' Foundation headquarters," Gael continued. "And we'll end the day back at Lady Janice's residence, where we'll spend the night. We depart for the Capital at sunrise."

In just over twenty-four hours, they would be back at the palace. Just one more day and Brethen would finally be able to breathe a sigh of relief, at least for a while.

She knew that all this tension hadn't escaped Arian's notice. They had little time alone, but he seemed to do everything to reassure Brethen, even though she knew he was just as tense as she was. He was just better at hiding his feelings behind that mischievous smile.

An hour later, Crescent appeared on the horizon. The city had been built around a crescent-shaped lagoon—hence the name of the city—and had expanded over the past two centuries to encompass the entire valley and some of the surrounding hills, becoming one of the largest urban and cultural centres in Pratoria.

The first functions of the day were uneventful. Lunch was as boring as usual—despite the delicious food—and the signing ceremony of the Prevalence Treaty featured more speeches than necessary. Then came the parade.

The procession of carriages departed from the Council headquarters courtyard, heading to Crescent Lagoon, where it would make half a circle and then proceed straight down the main avenue to the University.