CHAPTER 4

FISHING_____________꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

FISHING
_____________
꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

Bree swung herself towards the lake, hearing protesting yells behind her. They became more distant as she dove towards the water's surface. It broke, letting her join the underwater world once again.

The mud in her clothes and body washed off as she swam like an otter. She pushed her body smoothly through the liquid, feeling its silky brush against her skin.

Occasionally, it swirled around her, trying to sway her from her course. The girl wanted to swim as deep into the lake as possible. It would make finding her harder if the yellow eyes followed her. Her best bet would be to stay under the surface for as long as she was able to and then travel safely away from the coven's territory. She doubted they would have the patience to wait for her to resurface.

The longer she dived, the more she realised how much duller her senses were. They felt like they were full of cotton. Her eyesight was worse and blurrier. She couldn't see as far away as she had hoped. Her smell was almost completely gone, leaving her to smell occasional weak, musty odours as they pushed themselves into her nostrils. Her hearing was the only one that was not affected too badly. In fact, she heard even further than before, or at least she thought she did. She heard movements all around her-the lake creatures swimming and munching on something, the plants bending along with the water.

The young teen saw a small cave in front of her. It was decorated with alga, projecting it from outside eyes.

She listened to the sounds of the cave, wondering if she could hide in it until it was her time to leave. It could be a perfect place for her to spend some time. The cave looked small enough to not steal much attention but big enough to be in. Her eyes gazed at it for a few seconds before she propelled herself towards it.

The cave was mostly silent. She couldn't hear any creatures moving in it, making her feel more confident. She didn't want to steal anyone's home.

Her body squished inside of it, letting her finally see what the mysterious place looked like. The stone walls were full of plankton. She imagined they must have felt quite slimy. The floor itself was quite clean, only having a small patch of moss close to the entrance and a few small rocks in the left corner. If she had been younger, she would have thought it to be a mermaid's nest.

She amused the idea by imagining how the creature would sleep on the floor and laugh at her visiting fish friends' jokes.

She would love to be a mermaid. She had never understood why Ariel had wanted to leave Atlantis and live in the human world. Everything was so much more complicated here than in the fictional underwater kingdom. If she had been Ariel, she would have never even been interested in humans. They were boring creatures that slept, ate, went to work, and repeated everything again the next day. How had she survived as a human? How had she not died of boredom?