CHAPTER 15

FAMILY MEETING_____________꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

FAMILY MEETING
_____________
꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

The stars lit up in the sky as the trio returned to Cullen's house. They had stayed discussing the broken treaty with Sam, the leader of the Quileutes, for multiple hours.

The discussion had been heated at the start, but both sides had come to an agreement eventually. The agreement being that Bree was not allowed to be left alone like the way she had been until she had better control of herself.

She did not like it. It rubbed her the wrong way. She didn’t want to be babysitted every time she went to hunt or outside the house—not like she went outside anyways without company, but the point still stood. She hated the thought of someone staring at her when she hunted. Couldn’t she prey on the animals in peace? Why had Carlisle and Esme agreed to the dumb rule? It was infuriating.

For most of the conversation, the newborn had stayed mostly silent. She had been held by both the patriarch and the matriarch of the yellow eyes. Their grip had not left her until they were well on their way back to the house. The trip back to the modern-looking home was silent. Everyone seemed to be in their own thoughts, wondering their luck or, in the girl’s case, anxiously gazing around.

She didn’t trust the wolves after learning the truth about them. Apparently, Embry, the human boy, was actually a shapeshifter. She had smelled the wolf’s scent still in the air after his appearance because his body produced that awful smell. Sam was also a shapeshifter. How were the Cullens able to live so close to the scary creatures? She simply couldn’t understand their mental process. Weren’t they terrified about the wolves breaking the treaty on their own accord and ambushing them? She shuddered.

The trio arrived at the safety of Cullen's yard. The white house rose in front of the young teen, still making her feel in awe at its sheer size and looks. She couldn’t believe something so extravagant had been built in the middle of the forest. It wasn’t like anyone would see it, except occasional humans wandering to the house for some reason or another.

Her sneakers crossed the dirt road with ease. She wanted to get back inside. The whole meeting at the border had left her shaken up. She doubted she had ever felt so keen on going back to the house before. Even the thought of the white building made her heart ache from desperation.

Carlisle’s demeanour filled with relief as he opened the front door swiftly. He looked pleased with the outcome of the chat with Sam. The blond man forwarded her to step inside first, his eyes gleaming.

As Bree made her move, she was almost run over by Edward. The bronze-haired boy hissed furiously. “Carlisle!”

“Son.” The leader acknowledged him, his lips pressed together. “I suppose we need to have a family meeting.”