CHAPTER 14

THE SHAPESHIFTER_____________꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

THE SHAPESHIFTER
_____________
꒷꒦꒷꒷꒦❦꒦꒷꒦꒷꒷

The sun's rays hit the soil, making Bree's marble skin sparkle. The light folded from it, falling to the ground like a disco ball.

The horse-sized wolf stared at her. Its dark grey nose sniffed the air suspiciously as she laid on the ground, too scared to stand up. She was worried it was about to attack. She wasn't ready to go yet. Her memories of the dangerous wolves killing her former coven mates made her icy skin crawl. She wanted to run but didn't dare to do so. She knew that if she were to, she would end up dead.

The Cullens had fought alongside the wolves. Perhaps she could try to reason with the lone wolf before its pack members came to see what was going on. It had to be possible to talk to them. They had seemed to understand the yellow eyes in the clearing. She wondered if they were in some type of union together. It would explain why they had fought together. There weren't really any other reasons why the Cullens and wolves would have come together like that.

The young teen eyed the wolf. It stared at her calmly, like it was assessing her and figuring out if she was about to attack. It didn't seem to trust her, that was for sure. Behind its brown eyes, there was nothing else except wariness. It was almost daggering her with its gaze.

She didn't feel safe. She needed to find a way to calm the situation. Make the wolf leave her alone. But how she was going to do so was a question she did not know the answer to. Nevertheless, the sooner she was able to do so, the better. She didn't want to risk dying. Where were her capturers when they were needed? Why had they abandoned her when she needed them to come rescue her?

The sixteen-year-old girl let out a hiss. It was not her smartest move, but she wanted to assert dominance. Show that she was not scared of the intruder. Her hands dug themselves to the ground as she folded them tightly, feeling the dirt cluster inside her palms. She was ready to throw the wolf away if need arose.

The wolf responded to her sudden hiss by crouching down. Its eyes narrowed dangerously as it took support from the soil as well. The ground gave in under its paws, crumbling like the old ruins she had read about in geography.

The animal growled, taking her by surprise. The girl sprung upward, letting out another hiss. She had to flee. But where exactly, she thought frantically? Her senses searched the different directions discreetly, wishing the animal before her wouldn't notice. She fluttered her gaze quickly around, finding her previous trail of scent.

This interaction was not going well. Soon, her only option would be to run. She could try to follow her trail back to Carlisle and Esme. Surely they had started to wonder where she was and why she was taking so long to hunt a bear. They had to be searching for her, fearing that she had escaped.