chapter one, moon six

"He had massive, thorn-sharp claws that ripped up opposing warriors as a thunderstorm rips through leaves! With one ferocious swipe, he could send tens of cats running to their mothers!" The old orange cat exaggerated, speaking with such fiery passion. Thrushkit wondered if her raspy voice could handle it. Thrushkit sat outside the elder's den with his two sisters as he listened closely to the captivating tales of LavenderClan's greatest warrior.

"Don't go scaring the kits, Redsong!" another elder fussed, a pale ginger tom who jabbed Redsong with his paw as a harmless punishment. He shot Thrushkit a smirk. "It's terrifying to think he was that powerless! Moonstar could send whole clans out of their territory if he desired!"

Another old cat- a small, brittle, light brown one- shot a remark back. "Isn't Redsong supposed to be the elder who overemphasizes everything, Lazybeak?" Her unseeing gaze didn't say much, but her voice implied light-hearted teasing. Thrushkit relaxed. He hated watching cats fight.

"Don't mind those mouse brains," Redsong whispered to Thrushkit and his sisters, who giggled at the ginger cat's ragging. "Now, what else do you three want to know?"

Thrushkit's gray tabby sister repeatedly bounced up and down, brushing the right side of his fur in the wrong direction.

"Be still, Floweringkit!" Thrushkit hissed.

His other sister, Briarkit, snorted. "The only way to get her to be still is to have Willowtuft shove poppy seeds down her throat!" the brown tabby taunted.

"Hey!" Floweringkit defended. "I'm just excited to be an apprentice and a great warrior like Moonstar!"

Thrushkit sighed. He, Briarkit, and Floweringkit had finally reached their apprenticing age after six moons that lasted 'too long,' according to Floweringkit. For all he knew, Briarkit and Floweringkit were both exhilarated to start their warrior training. They would beg apprentices to teach them hunting moves or practice fighting with them. Thrushkit would tag along. He was thrilled as well, but part of the gold tom would miss the easy life of sleeping, playing, and listening to the elder's stories all day. But Thrushkit knew that all warriors had to give up constant relaxation someday.

"Hush up, you three! Do you want to hear about Moonstar or not?" Redsong scolded, nudging Floweringkit with her head.

"I do!" Briarkit promised, resting her thin tail lightly over her paws.

Redsong leaned back, relaxing. The midday sun shone brightly over the camp, and Thrushkit closed his eyes to bask in its warmth before the elder started to speak again.

"One time, when Moonstar was still a warrior-" Redsong began to recall, "back when my mother was just a kit- he drove off a whole family of badgers!" She croaked. Redsong let out a purr as she glanced down and noticed the kits' expressions. Floweringkit and Thrushkit's eyes were wide with astonishment. A whole FAMILY? As a young warrior?

Briarkit, done with listening to the elder's stories, lowered herself into a rusty hunting crouch, her brown tail fluffed up and lashing. Her gaze set on a single leaf brave enough to venture into the camp clearing.

With her noticeably improper technique, Briarkit pounced, clapping her front paws around her prey. She paused before standing up proudly, leaf in mouth and purring. "Look, Redsong! I'm going to be a great hunter!"

A cheerful rumble escaped the three elder's throats. Lazybeak blinked, a sign of affection towards Thrushkit's sister. "You better be! You three are Moonstar's kin, after all!"

Thrushkit hated getting compared to the greatest warrior who walked these woods. He hated it even more than watching cats fight. It was something every cat in LavenderClan did- even his own two sisters! Moonstar's kit was Thrushkit's mother's father, so he was descended directly from the great leader. And he was expected to meet and even pass Moonstar's impossibly noble achievements. And he didn't want to be another disappointment.