chapter seventeen, moon eleven

The gathering the following day was held in JadeClan's territory. Floweringpaw sat with her tail curled over her paws, sneaking glances at a particular black tom on the other side of the clearing. The LavenderClan warriors who were attending along with Floweringpaw were Ivylight, Willowtuft, Adderfur, Doefoot, Marshsound, Hollyfire, Snowfreckle, Thistlefang, Hazelfeather, Puddleskip, Briarpaw, and Rustpaw.

To Floweringpaw's surprise, it was Treepaw- the friendly brown MoonstoneClan apprentice- who approached the LavenderClan cats first, not her brother. Longpaw followed after her, obviously trying to keep a smile from creeping onto his face at the sight of Floweringpaw.

"Hi, Treepaw!" Briarpaw greeted, "Longpaw!"

Treepaw cleared her throat. "Actually, It's Treeheart now," she corrected proudly, her tail high in the air.

Floweringpaw turned to Longpaw, who in return said, giddy with excitement, "I'm Longpool now!"

Floweringpaw smiled at the tom. By the next gathering, I'll probably have my warrior name as well! She realized.

Although JadeClan was hosting the other three clans for the gathering, the cats were all but hospitable. They were, in fact, rather hostile to their guests. Floweringpaw tried to point out their deputy, Viperstrike, who had killed Hailpelt, but to her amusement, he was nowhere to be found. Shadowstar had assured he was alive at the last gathering, just suffering from severe injuries, but this makes two absences in a row...

Some of the MahoganyClan warriors slowly seemed to be conversing with JadeClan. Floweringpaw narrowed her eyes at the friendliness between the two clans but shook off the feeling of suspicion as she turned back to her friends.

"Still got that apprentice name, Flower- uh... -ingpaw?" Longpool teased, stuttering slightly at the end. Floweringpaw felt Briarpaw's hot gaze digging into her side. She simply laughed off the remark.

"Oh, please, It won't be long for you," Treeheart reassured. "You're, what? Eleven moons?"

Floweringpaw nodded in response, her gaze following Daystar as she leaped up to the tree stump at the head of the clearing. If Floweringpaw didn't know better, she could've guessed that JadeClan used this clearing as their camp. The clearing was quite spacious, with ample room for multiple felines to move around and train. Additionally, the sturdy roots of the towering trees spread out across the ground and created several small nooks that could serve as dens for the clan members.

Shadowstar silenced the cats with a yowl. Every cat in the clearing turned its head to the black tabby atop the tree stump. "Greetings, everyone," he welcomed in somewhat of a growl. "I believe Moorstar would like to share some things." The leader took a step back, allowing Moorstar to take her place in the front.

"Hello!" She called out, her voice feeling a little bit crazed. "MahoganyClan is doing wonderful! Sandyfoot has given birth to four new kits; Tumblekit, Swayingkit, Wingkit, and Heatherkit. However, the clan has sadly had to say goodbye to one of our elders, Grassfur."

Most of the attending cats dipped their heads in respect of the lost elder. There were a few moments of silence before Moorstar continued.

"Prey is still running well on our territory. We are stocking up on plenty of herbs for Leaf-bare. Applestar?"

LavenderClan's leader now stepped up to the front. He nodded respectfully to Moorstar as he took her place. "LavenderClan is doing great as well. Two of our apprentices, Puddleskip and Morningtail, have newly been made warriors."

Floweringpaw saw Puddleskip hold herself high amid the praise coming from surrounding cats. Morningtail was left behind at camp with Thrushpaw. She hoped they were getting along.