Goodnight

Anne's POV
After a relaxing and fun day with Phillip, we were going back to get our daughter. It felt like the shortest and longest time away from her at the same time.

I didn't like the idea of leaving Amelia with my mom at first. I never even wanted her to meet her grandmother, and I didn't think there would even be an opportunity for her to. She'd disappeared from the grid, as far as I knew.

But now that Phillip and I had some time to ourselves and a nice break, I realized maybe this wasn't so bad after all. We're all bound to make some mistakes, maybe a second chance was due.

We approached her door, hand in hand, and I knocked with my unoccupied one. My mother opened the door almost immediately, as if she was waiting and ready right there. Was it strange? Maybe. But I'm probably overthinking.

"Hello, Mother. Hi Amelia." I stretched out my arms to take hold of my daughter, dropping Phillip's hand in the process.

"How was she?" Phillip asked my mother.

"Oh, she was just great. I only wish I could hold onto her forever."

"Really? Well, she's a very good girl, so I don't blame you." I laughed. Phillip smiled, most likely glad that I was actually smiling while around my mother.

"I can't wait to see her next time. Unless of course I see all of you sooner." I almost swore I saw her smirk at me and wink, but a split second passed and it was over.

"Why am I seeing things?" I whispered to myself.

"What was that, Anne, darling?" She grinned.

"Oh, nothing. We'll see you soon, Mother."

"Yes, I'll make sure you do."

We start to make our way back home, and I look at Phillip a few times, trying to figure out how to word what I keep thinking to myself.

"Just say it, Anne." He laughed.

"Huh?" I looked up at him.

"I can see you're thinking about something you want to say."

I sighed, knowing he can see right through me. "It's just...did she seem a little strange today?"

"Your mom?"

"Yes. Did she?"

"She seemed the same to me. Maybe you're starting to forgive her more now and she seems different since you don't have such a hatred feeling for her."

Maybe.

(Two weeks later)
It's been about two weeks since Amelia was last with my mom by herself. She had come to the circus practically everyday, saying she was "checking in" on Amelia, but I just couldn't shake the feeling that something was off about her, but Phillip kept telling me that I was probably just getting used to not having a hatred towards her, but I just didn't believe it.

Today, Phillip was getting some work done in his office later than usual, so I was just on my trapeze waiting for him. I had just landed a backflip off of my rig, when I saw my mother walk in.

"Oh, hey Mom. What are you doing here so late? Amelia is up with Phillip in his office if you're looking for her."

"I'm actually not here to check on Amelia. I'm actually here to check on you."

"Me? Why are you here to check on me?"

"You have just seemed a little on edge lately, and I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"Oh, that's actually really sweet. I guess I've just had a lot on my mind lately, that's all. But thanks for asking, Mom." I say smiling.

"No, thank you, Anne." She says this while smirking.

"For what?" I say, my heart beating a little bit faster.

"For being naive enough to trust me and letting me get so close that you didn't even see this coming."

"See what coming?"

I turn around to look at Phillip's office, and I suddenly feel something really heavy hit my head, and I fall over, my head pounding. I hear my mother say "goodnight, Annie." And then it all went black.