The rescue

Phillip's POV:
It's been a long day filled with rehearsals and paperwork, but that's what I signed up for when P.T put me in charge of the circus. I'm just finishing up some things in my office with my little assistant, Amelia. I look up at her to see her smiling while her hands are stretching out to me.

"Do you think we should go home?"

All I get from Amelia is a giggle.

"I'll take that as a yes."

I grab my things and Amelia, and head back downstairs to get Anne, but she isn't there.

"That's weird. Anne said she would wait down here for me."

Suddenly, a wave of fear washes over me. There, on the ground, is Anne's wedding ring. I speed walk over to it, and I just freak out.

"Anne never takes this off."

I look over and see a note on the ground. I pick it up, and I read it aloud.

"Dear Phillip,
By now you're probably wondering where your precious Anne is, and she's safe, for now. But, the only way you or any of your friends will see her again is if you come to the location I give you with the deed to your circus. If you don't bring me that in the next 72 hours, your precious Anne will be gone, and Amelia won't have a mother anymore. Tick tock, Mr. Carlyle.
                           Sincerely,
                                          Elizabeth Wheeler"

I re-read the letter about 5 times before crinkling it up and throwing it across the room. I completely fall apart and just cry, tears streaming down my face.

"Anne was right about not trusting her mom, I should've listened to her, but now she got taken, and it's all my fault."

I then think about what Anne would say if she was here. She would drag me up and tell me to calm down and think of a plan. I get up and think for a minute, and I suddenly get an idea. I grab Amelia and run out of the tent and to P.T's, because to pull this plan off, I'm going to need some help.

As soon as I arrive at the Barnum's, I knock, or should I say bang, on the door frantically. Charity opens the door with a concerned expression evident on her face.

"Phillip, come in! A few of the others are here." Then she noticed how I was out of breath and nervous. "Phillip, what's wrong?"

"I need to talk to all of them." I said, my hands feeling clammy.

"I'll take Amelia." She said knowingly.

I rushed inside to where everyone was gathered, seeming to be having a great time. "We need to talk." I cut in.

"What's going on?" Lettie asked.

"And where's my sister?" W.D. asked.

I closed my eyes, scared to hear their reactions. What if they all hated me? It was all my fault, after all. Anne might not say so, but I know that it's the truth.

I took one more deep breath before speaking. "Anne was kidnapped."

After several hours of planning and thinking, the whole circus and I were on the way to the location that Elizabeth put in the letter. We make our way to what looks like a prison.

"Ok, we all remember our jobs, right? I go give the "deed" to Elizabeth, while the rest of you guys sneak around and find Anne, and whatever you guys do, do NOT let her try and come back for me, no matter what happens to me."

"Ok. Everyone, you heard Carlyle, now let's go get our friend back!" Lettie whisper yells as they all sneak off. I quickly grab W.D before he runs off.

"Hey, can you give this to Anne if something happens to me, and tell her that I love her more than anything else?"

"No, because you're going to tell her yourself when you see her again." W.D smiles at me before running off to join the others.

"Ok, let's go get Anne back." I say before running off towards the house, hoping that Anne knows that I'm coming to get her.

Anne's POV
Cold.

And dark.

That was all I felt around me.

I squinted my eyes, attempting to open them.

Where was I? What happened?

And then it all crashed down on me, and I remembered. I was knocked out by my mother. She must have kidnapped me.

I look around a bit, sitting up. I realize I'm in a dark gray room, laying on a stone floor and against a stone wall. Beside me sits a cup of dirty water and a singular piece of bread.
I must be in some basement somewhere, because this definitely isn't the nice house my mother has. 

"Oh good, you're up." I heard the slow clicking of heels approaching me, and saw the familiar silhouette of my mother.

"Why are you doing this?" I speak for the first time, and realize my voice is extremely raspy.

"Oh, Anne, you're so naive. There are more reasons than you'll ever understand. But, darling, this whole experience will bring out your friends and Phillip's true colors. You'll see, Anne, that no one really cares that much. And you will never see the light of day again." And then she disappeared.

What was I going to do? How would I get out of here? My head began pounding and it got dark again. And then I was out.

"Anne. Anne, wake up." I felt someone shaking me softly. "Come on, Anne, we need to get you out of here."

"W.D?" I croaked out, realizing it was my brother.

"W.D, she's too weak, carry her." It was Lettie speaking now.

"Okay, come on, Anne." I reached up to my brother, allowing him to lift me off the ground. "Let's get out of here."