Chapter Five

Harri wheezes as the men stop beating him, all of them hearing a loud crash from outside "Go find out what that noise was." the Joker orders. His men nod and run out, leaving the Joker with Harri "It's just us now, kid." Joker smiles. Harri coughs, blood coming out of his mouth "Fuck. You." he chokes. "Now that's not very nice." the Joker tells him, stamping down on Harri's side. Harri screams out in pain, Dick and Jason arriving. Jason aims his guns at the Joker "Let. Him. Go." he growls. The Joker pulls Harri to his feet, Harri crying out in pain "Let him go Joker, it's over." Dick tells him. "Not yet, my bet is that neither of you will do anything while I have him. So I'll be taking him with me." the Joker smirks, pulling Harri out of the tent with him. Dick and Jason follow after him "Joker." Jason all but growls as they reach the pier, the Joker holding Harri over the rushing water of river. Harri kicks his feet's weakly, trying to keep himself above the planks of wood. Jason pulls off his helmet, leaving himself in his domino "Hood, Harri can't swim." Dick tells Jason quietly. Harri looks over at Jason, fear and panic in his eyes "Joker, put him back on the pier." Jason tells the madman. "I don't think I will." the Joker responds, letting go of Harri. The boy lets out a scream as he falls into the water below "Harri!" Jason and Dick shout. Jason runs to the edge of the pier, stripping off his jacket before dicing into the water "Oops." the Joker laughs, Dick punching him and knocking him out. Jason dives down after Harri, grabbing hold of him and pulling him up to the surface.

Gasping for air himself, the older Todd panics when he realises that Harri didn't do the same "Riri? Harri?!" he shouts, swimming to the stairs connected to the pier. Putting Harri over his shoulder, Jason climbs up. Dick runs over and helps him up "He isn't breathing! H-He isn't breathing!" Jason tells him, panicking as they lie Harri down. "Oh God." Dick says, seeing the blue tinge Harri's lips have. Putting an ear to Harri's chest, Jason curses when he doesn't hear anything "No no no, come on!" he shouts, starting cpr on the younger boy. Dick tilts Harri's head back, brushing the water away from his mouth as it dribbles out "Come on, Birdie. Breathe for us." he tells him, giving him rescue breaths. Just then, Tim and Cass run over with Bruce close behind "No." Tim gasps, tears in his eyes. Cass falls to her knees as Bruce runs over "Robin, go get the AED from the Batmobile!" he orders. Tim nods and runs back in the opposite direction of the pier, Bruce kneeling opposite Jason "Hood, let me take over." he tells him. Jason shakes his head, tears falling "Jason. Let me help." Bruce tells him gently. Looking at Bruce, Jason nods and falls backwards as a broken sob bubbles out of his chest. Dick gives Harri another breath as Bruce takes over the chest compressions "Come on Harri, I'm not losing another one of my kids." Bruce tells him, Jason looking at him. Tim runs back, carrying a black box in his hands "I got it!" he shouts. "Wing, take over for me. Robin, take over for him." Bruce tells them.

Both of them nod, doing as they're told as Bruce takes the AED from Tim. Jason numbly watches as tears fall down his cheeks "Please don't do this, Riri." he whimpers. "Move your hands." Bruce tells Dick, ripping Harri's shirt open and connecting him to the AED. "Come on Birdie, please give us something." Dick pleads. "It's scanning." Bruce tells them. Everyone holds their breath as the AED beeps "Back up." Bruce tells the four vigilantes as he presses the button. Harri gets shocked, Jason flinching as he watches. After a second, Harri lets out a choked noise as water splurges from his mouth. Bruce immediately rolls him onto his side "Easy, you're alright Harri." he tells him. Harri whimpers, thrashing around slightly in panic. Jason rushes over "Hey, shhh, you're alright Riri. It's alright, you're safe now." he soothes, Harri calming slightly. "JJ?" Harri asks hoarsely. "Hey, I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere, you're safe. You're alright." Jason tells him, kissing his head. "Hurts." Harri mumbles. "We need to get him warm, he's freezing but not shivering. His body is in shock, he's at risk of getting pneumonia." Bruce says, feeling how cold Harri is. "I'm not leaving him." Jason tells the older vigilante. "I'm not asking you to, come on." Bruce responds gently, motioning for them all to move. Jason gently picks Harri up, Dick grabbing Jason's jacket and wrapping it round Harri to try and give him some warmth. Harri weakly whimpers as his head flops onto Jason's chest "Stay awake, Riri." Jason tells him. "Tired." Harri tells him, his eyes lidded. "I know you are, but you need to stay awake. You can sleep soon, okay?" Jason asks. "Mhm." Harri hums weakly, Jason carrying him to the Batmobile.

Arriving at the Cave everyone gets out the Batmobile, Jason still holding his brother in his arms "Riri, you still with me?" he asks gently, getting a slight groan in response. Dick feels Harri's forehead "He still isn't warming up." he tells them. "Leslie is on her way, I sent her a message on our way back." Bruce says. Jason lies Harri on the med bed "We'll go grab some blankets." Tim says, running out the cave with Cass on his heels. "Jason, get changed into some dry clothes. We don't need you getting sick too." Dick tells his brother gently. "'M fine, we just need to focus on Riri." Jason responds, not taking his eyes off his brother. "I'll stay with him, go change. You won't be any good for him if you get sick." Dick tells him. Jason hesitates, looking at his baby brother. "It won't take you too long. I promise I won't leave him." Dick assures him. Hesitantly, Jason nods before leaving to change out of his cold wet clothes. Dick gently strips Harri of his own cold wet clothes, changing him into some warm clothes. Harri whimpers slightly "You're alright, Birdie. We just need to warm you up." Dick tells him softly. "Here, we got the blankets." Tim says, he and Cass walking in with a pile of blanket each. "Good, help me cover him up." Dick responds, grabbing one of the blankets. Harri whines slightly "Harri, you still awake?" Tim asks him. "Tired." Harri slurs. "I know, but we need you to stay awake. Leslie is coming to see you, you want to be awake to see her." Tim tells him.

Jason walks over wearing a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie "JJ?" Harri whimpers. "I'm right here RiRi, I'm not going anywhere." Jason tells him. "Hot." Harri says, trying to get the blanketa off. "Hey, you need to keep them on Birdie. I know you feel hot but you're freezing." Dick tells the boy. Harri whines, Jason pulling the blankets back and climbing under "Come on, cuddle in." he smiles gently. Harri immediately curls into his side, nuzzling into Jason's chest as his brother wraps his arms round him protectively. Dick grabs a couple more blankets and puts the on the bed as Leslie arrives "Good you already have him changed and under blankets. Tim, go and warm some saline. We need to get him warmed up from the inside too." she says. Tim nods and goes to do as he's told "Keep him close, your body heat will warm him up." Leslie tells Jason, who nods in response.