Neferus

CW: Loss of patients' lives

Neferus had always grown up wanting to help people, it was a natural instinct for her. Whenever she went out she had some antiseptic cream and bandaids with her in case anyone needed it. As she got older she started carrying around some basic medicine to help with headaches in case anyone had them. Both of her parents work in the health industry, and both of them had been working during the final parts of the war, they never had to fight as they were healers instead. Everyone in the medical industry celebrated when the war had ended, many watchers didn't like the battle in the first place and it was causing them more work than they could handle, and there was death after death. Neferus was glad that she was born into a time when there wasn't a war.

- - - - - -

When she was old enough she went to an academy that would both improve her abilities as a watcher, but also her abilities as a healer. It was a smaller academy, most people didn't have the patience and care needed to heal people, but there were still a number of them. They also had admins who were there, they shared some medical classes but had many separate ones. Watchers were also able to use magic to heal, while admins could summon potions to help so they needed different health-related classes as well. She focused more on her work while she was at the academy, she wanted to be able to help people, and to do that she needed to have the knowledge to do so. Helping people was what she wanted to do, it always had been, so she would forgo personal relationships with her fellow students until she knew that she was good enough to help everyone.

- - - - - -

Neferus graduated eight years later, the course was longer as they learnt the same things as the other academies with the medical course extension, and she was at the top of her year group. She was invited to work at a hospital in the city of the Main World where she grew up, and she took advantage of it to spend time with her parents. They also worked in the same hospital, they were quite high up but Neferus knew that they had nothing to do with the job offer, she made them promise that they wouldn't interfere, she wanted to get a job on her own merits. She enjoyed her job. It was only a small one as she had only just graduated from her academy, but it was still helping people. She helped people heal smaller injuries, and help diagnosed people and then helped find ways to help them in whatever way she could.

- - - - - -

Her first death on the job came later on when she moved to help in the emergency room. She had seen many things there, many people who were so close to death's door but were able to be saved. She had seen people die, but it had never been one of her own patients. She wouldn't forget the name of the patient she lost. Tristan Kolities. He was a watcher who was in one of the attacks led by the council on the rogue academies, the ones who were against the peace. He had been attacked by one of the leaders of that academy and his shield didn't hold up against the fireball sent his way. He was barely holding onto life when he came in front of Neferus, and she tried everything.

Normal medication wasn't strong enough so she tried using potions that admins kept nearby for people to use, but the spell that was cast negated the effects of the potion. She tried using her magic, using the strongest healing spell she knew. One that sent a purple light around the whole of the emergency department, the outskirts of it were strong enough to heal others in the area, but as the light faded Neferus saw it was too late. The spell wasn't strong enough to heal Tristan, he was gone. She was so tired after it, it sucked a lot of magic out of her. After that, she needed to take a break, losing someone who she was trying to heal was hard for her. She wanted to always make sure people were okay, and this was the first time where she had failed. She vowed that she wouldn't let another person die, she wouldn't let it.