2. Confused About the Hotel Carpet

Photo Made with Bing AI

Jon
June 14th, 2000
1:03 AM

Hotel Marigold, Manford, Connecticut

   "Hey, Son, I hope you had a nice night and slept well. I will come by the house and take you to dinner tonight for your birthday. We have much to discuss, and I have a surprise for you. I love you, Baby Boy... I will see you in a few hours," I smiled, hanging out my phone as I fixed my hair before the gel was fully set.

   I hated working on my youngest son's birthday... he was eighteen today. This was the most important birthday in our family. I couldn't worm myself out of it, not after I had to convince Hasan to take over half of the law firm for the next month. 

He owed this to me, however. We built this law firm from the ground up in the last fifteen years. I hadn't had a day off, and I had covered for him so much... it was more of my firm than ours.

   Today was also the most important day for our firm. We are meeting a bigger Law Firm from New York that wants to absorb ours... if this meeting goes well, then the payout will be exponential... my daughters and sons won't have to work a day in their lives, and maybe even my grandchildren won't have to work as well. I tossed my blazer on before grabbing the keys to my Cadillac and opening the door, but halfway open, it stopped on something with a thud.

   "Ouch..." I heard a sleepy voice whimper. I poked my head out of the door, and on the Hotel's Floral Carpet was my Baby Boy.

   "Jonathan?" "Baby, what are you doing out here?" I slipped out the door and pulled him up to his feet. He was in his pajamas, and two suitcases were in the corner beside the doorframe.

   "Mom kicked me out... Kendalyn told me to come here." He rubbed his head, and I assumed I hit him with the door. I inspected the bump and felt horrible. I didn't swing the door open with enough force to give him a concussion, but he easily bruised. "I-I didn't want to wake you up... I didn't know if you wanted me here,"

   "Of course, I want you here... Why would you think I didn't? Did your Mom tell you that?"

   "Well... you haven't been home for a couple of months. I didn't know if Kendalyn told you about Tyler and you hated me too," He said, hugging himself... he looked so sad and terrified.

   "Is Tyler your boyfriend?"

   "Was... did Kendalyn-"

   "She didn't have to... I knew you were gay, and do you know what? It doesn't change anything... I still love you," I told him and knelt so we were eye to eye. "I left you a voicemail... I would wait until I took you to dinner tonight, but... I am taking a month off of work. We are going to spend the next month with your Poppy, Uncle, and Brother in Benaco Beach," I told him, and my heart thumped a little when his frown tugged up for a second.

   "Really? Jack texted me that he was trying to get his Brothers to let him leave for the summer,"

   "I told him to act like he couldn't make it... We were taking a trip and surprising you with the family. I am so sorry that I made you feel secluded,"