Ball 13. Stop

Sugawara Koushi

'Just a point more!' I internally encouraged the Karasuno boys, clenching my fists as I did so. Once Hinata had recieved the ball from his trusty setter, Kageyama, he immediately spiked it. The ball was barely stopped, grazing on one of the opponent's arms and landed on the side of their court, earning a point for Karasuno.

"Yes!!" All of them cheered, including the rest of us subtitutes.

"One more match and we'll be heading to the Preliminary rounds!" Daichi spoke aloud. "Let's win this time 'round against Aoba Jousai!"

With a hearty response from everybody, the boys headed to the middle of the court where they bowed and thanked their opponent for the good game.

As we dispersed and headed out the court, Kaori was waiting for us outside the glass doors of the stadium.

She came today, as promised, like every other day we had a match against other schools who we won against. Even though Kiyoko was enough to set the team motivation, Kaori was like our back-up cheerleader.

"Congrats on winning, again!" She flung her arms around the second year's necks and did the same to the rest. Since we were much taller than her, with the exception of Noya and Hinata, she had to tiptoe a little due to her short height. "Jeez," She pouted after the hugs she gave. "You guys are tall."

"You're just short, Miyazono-san." Noya smirked at her and she sighed.

"You're still continuing this, aren't you?"

"Of course!" He pumped his clenched fist on his chest. "Until you've come to beg me for mercy!"

After her sudden change of personality and her betrayal to Noya and Tanaka, the both of them, including Kageyama and Hinata, had joined forces to what they call 'bringing us down' or in other words, revenge.

It took them only a day to stop what they've been doing to us seniors as Daichi still hasn't reduced their practices, and the fear of him increasing it more had made them back down.

Except for Kaori.

Instead of praising her for her presence and beauty every time she enters the gym back at Karasuno, they would only glare at her and make a remark behind Daichi's back. They also wouldn't receive the towel and water bottles she gives out after practices, unless it was Kiyoko.

Eventually, the first years came to their senses and stopped insulting Kaori. At least they were more decent and smart than the idiots Noya and Tanaka. Despite that, it didn't stop them from doing any more remarks.

To Kaori, she seemed to be getting the hang of it and ignoring them when they accused of her. But when she excuses herself to go out of the gym, I would sometimes hear her having mild hallucinations. I couldn't even get near to her, because once I do, she'd stop and fake a smile at me saying, saying that she's alright.

But now, I don't think she could keep that facade of hers any longer.

After Kaori let out another long sigh, she looked at Noya and Tanaka who were glaring daggers at her. "You guys, just.. stop. Okay? I've had enough of the both of you."

The second years weren't convinced. "Not until-"

"I am not going to beg for your mercy, if that is what you are asking." She said every word with conviction.

"And why not?" Noya frowned at her.

"Just.. no." Kaori turned away, avoiding eye contact.

"Then you are not forgiven." Tanaka spat.

Daichi began to have a menacing aura around him as he glared at the two second years. However, they seemed to have ignored his presence completely and is now immune to his anger.

"Tanaka, Nishinoya," Daichi caught their attention, but they didn't waver. "Stop this right now. Revenge isn't you should use over someone just because they insulted you in a way."

"But Daichi-san!" Noya protested. "We've had enough of being treated like toddlers! You may be superior than us but that doesn't give you the right to have authority over us!"

Before Daichi could errupt anymore from their piercing words, Kaori snapped.

"And I've had enough of bullies!" She said aloud. Luckily, we were in a secluded place, behind the stadium where not many people pass by. So getting attention from on-lookers isn't a problem here.

"Bullies?" Tanaka and Noya were suddenly taken aback.

"I've had a rough elementary past, and that includes bullying." She explained. "I am one of their victims and I just can never get away from them. Their verbal use of words are just as similar to yours.. I hate it, okay? They told me once that if I beg for their mercy, I would be released from their dungeon of hell. I didn't have any choice but to obey their orders. But I was stupid enough to think that they would actually let me go.

"Instead, they had physically hurt me everytime our paths cross at school. It hurts a lot.. And they've been doing that to me for the rest of my elementary years until I've dropped out." She looked at the second years who had shocked looks on their faces. "And this is why I can never beg for mercy."

"I-I.." Noya was at a loss for words, and so did Tanaka. They looked shamelessly to the ground as I saw them clench and unclench their fists while they try to find the right words to say.

Because sometimes, saying sorry isn't enough.

"It's okay," Kaori patted their heads and gave them both another hug. "I know you're guilty and all but.. It's also kind of my fault that I never told you guys."

"N-no!" The boys said in unison. "We have to make it up to you! It's our fault in the beginning for not thinking this through."

"Win the next match, then." She smiled. "I think that would be enough."

They nodded their heads at her. "We'll beat Aoba Jousai for you!"

"Don't forget about us too!" Hinata jumped in and slung his short arms to his seniors.

The rest of the team huddled up around Kaori. Kiyoko was somehow pushed next to her and she became a part of it as well.

"And I'll be cheering as loud as I could for tomorrows match!" Kaori said with a pump of her fist. We followed her action and agreed with an "Aye!"

Miyazono Kaori

'Do you even mean that, Kaori?' My conscience said to me once we've headed to a bus that takes us back to Karasuno. 'Tomorrow is the last day, you know.'

I ignored the sound of how sneery the voice in my head was. 'I'll cheer them on, no matter what. I promised that I will always be there-'

'Always?' She scoffed. 'You can't always be here forever with them.'

I winced at her words. 'It doesn't mean I have to be physically there with them.'

'If you say so.' The voice disappeared and I let out a sigh of relief, then chuckled after realizing my conscience had just 'argued' with me.

'I'm becoming mental,' I thought.

'But that's better than being dead, right?'