Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Male Model

Mims Murphy followed Sissy Johansen, chief editor and co-owner of Imaginings Publishing, through an ornate door and into a large photo studio on the fiftieth floor of a high-rise in New York. Sissy had insisted that Mims meet the cover models for her upcoming book, Dream Kisses. After writing five novels with Imaginings with moderate returns, she had finally scored big on her sixth, a chick-lit romance. Because of that success, Sissy had contracted with her for three books in a "Kisses Series": Dream Kisses, Honey Kisses, and Baby Kisses. Based on readers' exuberance, the books were expected to be hits.

The shoot had already begun when they slipped into the studio. Sissy motioned her to a spot near a sidewall. Mims leaned against the wall, her eyes riveted on the models. Lights flashed and the photographer, a short skinny man with a balding pate, called instructions. "Move in, Sage. Yeah, give her that sexy, hot hot HOT look. Make her sizzle. Chastity, let him know who's in charge."

Sissy smothered a giggle and whispered, "Can you believe her name is Chastity?"

Mims bit her bottom lip to keep from laughing out loud.

The photographer called another instruction. "Okay, models, let's try a kiss. The title of the book is Dream Kisses, so how about some dream kisses! Make my toes curl."

With a rather bored expression, the male model glanced in Mims direction. Her heart tripped when their eyes met, something that only happened to characters in her books.

Sissy whispered, "He's absolutely the most gorgeous man I've ever seen, and I've seen my share. If I were twenty years younger, I'd throw myself at him unabashedly." She sighed.

"Sissy, you're kidding, right? You're married," Mims shot back.

"I think I'm kidding; not really sure."

Mims shook her head and looked back at the models now sharing a passionate embrace and kiss. The female had hit the genetics jackpot: curvaceous body, flowing blonde hair, sexy sky blue eyes, and full pouty mouth. Of course, maybe it wasn't genetics; maybe it was implants, hair salon, contacts, and Botox. Whatever, she's still gorgeous.

A fan billowed the female's lavender silk drape gently around her luscious body and lifted her golden hair off her shoulders. The male model bent her slightly backwards, all evidence of his boredom gone when he laid a whopper on her. His hair, the color of rich mahogany laced with sunlight, also moved in the breeze of the fan. His linen shirt, falling off his shoulder and open to the waist, revealed tanned skin and washboard abs.

Sissy said, "My God, I think I can scrub clothes on his abs."

Mims choked and shook her head at Sissy's forthrightness.

For the next hour they watched the photographer command the models, and the models perform magic. The experience transported Mims into the pages of her book. It was as if the characters had found life--a special world of romance,adventure, and a happily ever after that she wanted to step into.

"Okay, boys and girls, I think we can call it a wrap," said the height-challenged photographer.

The male model stretched and the female model ran her hands through her hair. For obvious reasons, Mims had expected the models to gravitate toward each other, but with the shoot finished, they appeared oblivious to one another. Then, to Mims astonishment, the female rushed to the photographer and bent to kiss him on the lips. He responded and whispered in her ear. She blushed and giggled, pushing at his chest. "Hon, gotta run and pickup the kids. I'm making lasagna for dinner."

Mims mouth fell open. Sissy saw the look and chuckled. "Oh, yeah, you've never met Chastity and Chuckie Chambers. They're the best in their fields and been married since their teens. Got two kids, but always act like they're on their honeymoon. It's a shock when people find out they're married. We never give it a second thought around here 'cause we see them so much. Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone. Now, the male model, Sage Tanner, he's new, so I don't know much about him; only that he's in demand." Sissy elbowed Mims, "Wonder why?" She grabbed Mims' arm and pulled her forward.

"Hey Chastity and Chuckie, I'd like you to meet the author of the book for the cover you were just shooting."

The Chambers greeted her with warm handshakes. Chastity gushed, "OMG, I just love your books. When Chuckie told me I was going to be the model for your next one, I got so excited I couldn't stop telling everyone about it. It's such a pleasure meeting you!"

"Chastity, I should be thanking you for creating such a beautiful cover," Mims said warmly.

Sissy turned to Sage who'd slipped off his linen shirt to reveal the body of a god. He reached for an old T-shirt and when his head popped through the neck, she said, "Sage, Imaginings is extremely pleased you're doing this book cover. When our artistic designer saw your portfolio, she refused to look further. The shoot was awesome."

"Thank you, ma'am," he politely replied with a slight drawl. He glanced toward Mims and her heart thumped again.You write about this stuff, girl, you don't live it.

Sissy introduced them. "Sage Tanner, I'd like you to meet Mims Murphy, our best selling author."

"I'm pleased to meet you, Ms. Murphy."

"Likewise, Mr. Tanner. But please, call me Mims."

"Okay, only if you call me Sage."

Mims felt utterly tongue-tied. A woman could drown in the man's Caribbean blue eyes and never want to be saved. She found her voice. "Thank you for the lovely photo shoot. The cover of a book is so important." Lovely photo shoot? What a lame thing to say. How about unbelievably incredible, undeniably sensuous, mesmerizing, and sexy photo shoot?

"I'm glad you liked it."

For a second, there was an uncomfortable silence. Sissy said, "Why don't we all walk across the street for a java fix. I understand there's another shoot tomorrow for publicity photos that are going on our website. We can all throw out ideas."

Chuckie said, "I could use a break, sounds great, Sissy."

Chastity declined, "Sorry, I've got to pick my kids up from school."

Sage agreed, "Sure, that sounds nice," but he didn't sound very enthused.

Sissy grabbed Mims arm. "I'll let the powers-that-be, namely, my husband, know where we're going. Mims and I will meet you in the lobby in five minutes. She pulled Mims from the room.

"Sissy, I really need to go."

"And do what? Hack away on your computer? Give it a break, girl. I just got the most gorgeous man on the planet to join us for coffee. If you say you're not interested, I'm calling the paramedics. Better yet, I'll call the white-coats to have you committed."

"Sissy, what are you talking about? I'm not even in that guy's league. Besides, I'm older than him."

"Not more than five or six years. Cougars are out there dating men decades--yes, that's plural--younger than themselves."

"Sissy, guys like that do not go for gals like me. It only happens in books."

"Mims, I saw the guy give you that look."

"No way, Sissy."

"If you try to get out of this coffee break, I'll...I'll...refuse to publish your next book."