Chapter 13

Chapter 13: "WESTWARD HO!"

The next day, Sarah smoothed the skirt of her brocade suit and preened in the mirror. She certainly wasn't making a fashion statement, but the outfit made her feel giddy with excitement--a real covered wagon adventure! She heard a knock and Newt called, "Wagon train's a-waitin'!"

Hurrying outside, Sarah climbed into the Lazy M van being driven by Bobby Joe. She carried her tote bag full of toiletries, underwear, and a notebook. Ann Hackstetter patted the seat beside her and Sarah joined her new friend. Ann whispered, "I'm so excited! I've never done anything like this!" Sarah nodded in agreement.

Since the Triple T was only ten miles away, it didn't take long to arrive. Sage parked his truck beside the van. While he unloaded Jackal from the horse trailer, Julie and Jacob, who had ridden with him, joined the group from the van. Sarah glanced at Sage, but quickly averted her eyes when she met his gaze. She wanted to avoid him at all costs. The only reason she hadn't made haste after their fiasco was because of her research, and the fact that she wanted to leave with no regrets--or so she'd convinced herself.

Two more trucks from the Lazy M arrived towing horse trailers. Newt and Curley got out of one, and Beaner, Ned, and Skipper got out of the other. Sarah heard Mr. Hackstetter curse and she followed his gaze. Jackson was leaning against the side of the barn. She glanced at Ann who was looking at the ground.

Sarah's attention was redirected to Sage when he called for the pioneers to follow him and his horse to the backside of the barn. Her excitement grew when she saw the covered wagons hitched to mules. Ann giggled and nudged her. Sarah giggled and nudged Ann back.

Sage motioned the pioneers forward and then climbed onto the buckboard of what looked to be a supply wagon. "Listen up, pioneers, as your wagon master, I have a few instructions before we leave. First up, however, I'd like to introduce Tommy Travis Tritt, owner of Triple T Ranch...I wonder why it's called Triple T?" The group laughed.

Tommy said a few words, and then Sage asked everyone to introduce themselves by stating their first and last names and where they were from. The introductions helped create a spirit of camaraderie among the Triple T guests and the Lazy M guests.

After introductions, Sage gave another safety spiel and then said, "Okay, next on the agenda, Newt has wagon train assignments. As you can see, each canvas is painted with a name so you can always find your home-away-from-home for the next three days."

Sarah read the names: Cali or Bust, Gold Fever, New Beginnings, Desert Dust, Six Shooter, and Wild West. The chuck wagon had the words "Chow Down" painted on it.

Sage jumped down from the buckboard and Newt climbed up, calling out assignments. The Hackstetters got Six Shooter. Mr. and Mrs. Tully ended up with Gold Fever, along with another couple about their age from the Triple T. The M twins got Wild West and their wagon mates were two young women, Holly and Lia, also from the Triple T. Sarah's wagon was New Beginnings that she shared with Julie, and a mother and her adult daughter who'd recently arrived at the Lazy M, Flo and Jill. The wagon, Desert Dust, got assigned to a family of five who'd come in the night before, Don, Robin, and their three grade school children. The last wagon, Cali or Bust, had three guys from the Triple T. Julie confided that they were stockbrokers from New York and friends of Jackson. She said they'd been participating for the past three years.

After Newt gave assignments he told the group that each wagon contained a trunk with necessities, including toilet paper and water bottles, along with their extra costumes. He stepped down and Sage jumped back on the buckboard. "Are there any questions before this train heads west?"

One of the M twins lifted her hand. Sage nodded and she said, "Just one question, Sage--where are you sleeping."

"Not to worry. I'm bedding down in the great outdoors with the rest of the cowboys. Now, before I send everyone to their wagons, I'd like to introduce our hired gunslinger, Jackson Martinez, fastest gun in the West."