Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Calm before the Storm

Sarah sat on the buckboard beside Ned while he guided their mules on the last leg of the wagon train adventure. "There's the Lazy M." He pointed.

She laughed. "I am so happy to be back. I can't wait to get out of pioneer clothes and soak in a tub. Never thought I'd be excited to wash my hair." Behind her, she heard Jill and Flo agree.

A rider on horseback pulled up beside them. Sarah looked at Sage and he tipped his hat.

Ned said, "Howdy, boss. Got any instructions?"

"Nope, you know the routine."

Sage grinned at Sarah. "And how are you today, Miss Sarah?"

Sarah turned scarlet. You're fetching when you blush. "Right as rain, Mr. Tanner."

Sage's grin turned wicked, "Sure was a beautiful moon last night. Beautiful moons make for special nights. Don't you agree, Miss Sarah?"

Sarah noticed Ned glancing back and forth between her and Sage. "I think every night should be special, Mr. Tanner."

Sage laughed so hard he almost fell off his horse. Julie, Jill, and Flo were now peeking around Sarah and watching the banter.

Ned shook his head. "I think I missed something in the conversation, but it's got me laughing anyway."

Sage winked at Sarah and tipped his hat at the ladies before urging Jackal to the next wagon. Flo whispered in Sarah's ear, "That man's got a thing for you." Sarah almost squealed with delight.

* * *

Sage rubbed Jackal and patted his flank. The last of the Triple T pioneers had been bused back to Tommy's ranch and his own pioneers were back at the dorm. They were a tired looking bunch and he knew from experience that tomorrow would be geared toward rest and recuperation for the dudes staying on. The M twins, the Tullys, and the Hackstetters were leaving. He knew Julie was sad about saying goodbye to Jacob. Unknown to his daughter, he had spied them kissing during the wagon train. He sighed. His little girl was growing up.

With a last pat on Jackal's hind quarter, he closed the stall and left the barn. He wanted to see Sarah, but he wasn't sure how to go about it without raising eyebrows. After showering, he knocked on Julie's door. "Hey, sweetie, you in there?"

"Yeah, Dad." She opened her door.

He handed her an envelope. "I want you to do something for me."

"Sure."

"Run over to the dorm and give this to Sarah, but don't let anyone see you give it to her."

"What is it?"

While Sage tried to think of something convincing, she laughed, "Just kidding, Dad. I don't want to know. I know you like her a lot."

"It's that obvious?"

"Well...yeah."

* * *

Julie ran across the yard toward the dorm. She was glad her father had asked her to deliver a note to Sarah. It would give her a chance to see Jacob again. When she thought about him leaving the next day, she wanted to cry.

She opened the door to the dorm. The great room was empty except for Jacob watching a sci-fi flick. He jumped up when she came in. "Hi Julie. I'm glad you're here. I almost walked over to ask if you wanted to watch a movie. But I figured you were probably too tired."

"I'd love to watch a movie. Give me a minute and I'll call my dad and let him know." She walked to the end of the hallway and knocked on Sarah's door. When Sarah opened it she looked really happy to see her, and when Julie handed her the envelope saying it was from her dad, she looked ecstatic. Yep, they definitely have the hots for each other.