Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Morning Regrets

Sarah jammed the pillow over her head, but she could still hear noise. Her cotton brain finally recognized the sound as knocking. "Go away," she mumbled. The knocking stopped and she sighed with relief. She heard the door squeak and squinted to look at it. Julie peeked around the edge.

"Are you feeling okay, Sarah?" the girl timidly asked.

Sarah's mind tried to get a grasp on reality. "What day is it?"

"Sunday."

"What time?"

"Almost noon."

Sarah jolted upright. She never slept late. The movement sent her head whipping like a roller coaster. "Ouch." She pressed her palms to her temples and fell back against her pillow. "Am I sick," she asked.

Julie laughed, "Not unless you consider a hangover sick."

A hangover! Suddenly, the previous night tumbled into remembrance--steak dinner, bucking bull, sawdust covered dance floor, live country band, beer... She groaned and turned her face into her pillow again. What kind of example was she setting for this impressionable girl? Another memory surfaced and her eyes popped wide open. Please, God, let it be a dream. In her mind's eye, she envisioned passionate kisses on the porch, hands and mouths in erotic zones, and Sage's face. She covered her face with her hands.

"My dad said you'd probably be a little upset when you woke up. He didn't tell me why. Can I get you anything?"

Sarah shook her head, not lifting her hands from her face. "I'm fine, Julie," she lied and mumbled behind her palms.

"Dad said I should give you some orange juice."

Sarah peeked through her fingers and noticed the glass in Julie's hand. She croaked, "Please, set it on the nightstand. Thank you. I need some time...to get dressed." She'd been about to say "alone," but didn't want to hurt Julie's feelings.

Julie seemed to understand. "Okay. I'll check on you later."

Sarah heard the door close and blinked rapidly to cap a gush of tears threatening to erupt like a geyser. I will not cry. I will not cry. I will not cry. A loner slipped through her resolve and she swiped at it. Sniffing, she gingerly moved her legs over the side of the bed and grasped her spinning head. I will never drink beer again. Holding onto furniture, she grappled her way to the bathroom and sat on the side of the tub, removing the wrapping from her foot. Thank God she was still wearing last night's outfit--minus her vest and boot, however. The hot shower seemed to help her massive headache.

At issue now was how to leave the ranch without facing Sage. She didn't want to hurt Julie by abruptly flying the coop, but her desire to avoid Sage outweighed even that resolve. Her stay at Lazy M Dude Ranch had forever cured her of hands-on research. From now on, research would take her only as far as her laptop and the internet.

She returned to the bedroom and tentatively sipped her orange juice. It stayed down. Feeling strong enough to get dressed, she pulled on a pair of turquoise slacks and matching shell. While she was sitting on the bed attempting to rewrap her foot, she heard another knock. Thinking it was Julie, she called, "Come in."

Sage opened the door. Sarah glanced up from fastening the hook on the wrap and almost fell on the floor. He started toward her and she jerked a staying hand at him. He stopped.

Her mouth moved, but no words came out.

He said, "How are you feeling?"

She still couldn't find her voice.