Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Lasso Lessons

Sage strode toward the corral where Newt was demonstrating the art of roping. He'd stayed longer with Sarah than he'd intended. He quirked a half smile remembering her blushes. Whatever she'd written, she sure didn't want him to know. It had to be all that romance stuff chick-lit novels were famous for--give him an action suspense or traditional western any day. When he remembered her delight over Precious Pudding's story, his smile turned into a big grin. She'd called him by his first name and then tried to cover her mistake. Since meeting Sarah, he'd been wondering if he'd lost his touch with women. All his life he'd had an easy way with them, and most times had to fight them off. Sarah had been the exception.

Sage rounded the corner of the barn and almost bumped into the twins. He did a quick sidestep. "Uh, excuse me ladies."

They giggled in unison and the one in the pink-T pouted, "We were wondering where you were. Are you going to watch the man swing the rope?"

"That I am. Have you had your turns?"

The pink-T twin looked him up and down. "Now what turn might that be, Sage." The purple-T sister stepped close enough for her boobs to graze his chest.

Shit. He'd stepped right into that innuendo.

Quickly sidestepping again, he pretended stupidity. "Newt's waiting for me. He's the best roper in the county and he won't rest until everyone's had a turn ropin'." Puffing air, he hurried away from the bimbos.

At the corral he rested his boot on the lowest crossbar and leaned against the railing. As expected, Newt's skill impressed the greenhorns. The old cowboy twirled the rope in a circle above his head and then lassoed the fence post next to Sage. Sage read his expression. Where the hell have you been? He responded with an innocent grin.

While Newt continued with another rope trick, the twins flanked him on either side. Now he was the center of their sandwich. Their shoulders rested against his. He glanced across the corral at the teenage kid and recognized the boy's look--envy. Sage sighed. Mindy and Mandy had no effect on him. He must be getting old.

Stepping away from the girls, he hopped over the fence and into the corral. While he walked toward Newt, the old curmudgeon whipped the rope in the air and perfectly captured him. All the dudes laughed, even sour-faced Mr. Hackstetter.

Sage stepped out of the rope. "How about we let our guests try their hands at lassoing? Jacob, would you like to be first?" The kid didn't think twice and vaulted over the railing. He shot his father a look that conveyed their love-hate relationship. Obviously, the kid was starving for his father's attention. "Mr. Hackstetter, why don't you join us?"

After a slight hesitation and a little nudge from his wife, he shrugged and clumsily climbed over the railing, even though Sage had walked to the gate and opened it. Father and son faced each other like an Old West shoot-out. Newt tossed the rope to Sage, who did some fancy twirling and then proceeded to instruct Jacob in lassoing an object--the object being Mr. Hackstetter. Surprisingly, after a few tries, the kid actually roped his dad. Everyone clapped, even Mr. Hackstetter. Jacob's chest visibly puffed out.

"Hey, Jacob, I think you're a natural," Newt called from the sidelines.

"I think you're right," agreed Sage. "Jacob, you can keep that rope and practice with it."

"Really? That's great!"

Mr. Hackstetter wasn't much of a roper and had no luck lassoing his son. However, he was a good sport about it, and ruffled his son's hair when they walked out the gate. Seeing the comradery between father and son made Sage happy, but also sad when he thought about his own son.