Chapter 10

Chapter 10: Cowboy Up

Two days later, Sarah felt really good. She was even walking short distances without the crutches, although she didn't let Sage see her progress because of ensuing lectures.

During lunch, he told her he was treating his guests to steaks at a popular restaurant and then showing them a good time at the local hot spot. Sarah knew it was part of the package deal the dude ranch advertised.

He glanced at her wrapped foot. "So, do you feel up to going? You won't have to crutch much; just to and from the restaurant and club. Seeing the locals in action would be great research."

Sarah didn't have to think twice. "I'd love to go."

"Great. We leave at five. The teenagers will join us for supper and then Newt's taking them to a local video arcade. After supper, the adults can kick back with a few beers, do some line dancing, and enjoy the cowboy way." He winked and added, "Since Beaner and I are the designated drivers, we don't get to drink."

After Sage gathered their trays and left, Sarah opened her laptop and typed a note for revising one of her chapters--Gage Introduces Tarah to the Wild Side.

* * *

By four o'clock, Sarah had tried on several outfits. She had no idea which one to choose. Should she wear her denim skirt, her Levi jeans, a fancy shirt dress, or something else? There was a knock on her door. Maybe it was Julie and she could help her decide.

"Who is it?" she called.

"It's me, Julie. Can I come in?"

"Oh yes, please."

Julie opened the door and glanced at the mound of clothing on the bed.

Sarah motioned her forward. "Julie, I'm so glad you're here. I need help in deciding what to wear. I bought cowboy boots in Los Angeles, but what should I wear with them?"

Without hesitation, Julie picked up the denim skirt, a pretty peasant top, and a denim vest. "This would look really nice."

Sarah accepted the clothes and heaved a sigh. "Thank you, honey. I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb."

"Mims...I mean Sarah, you're gonna look like a regular cowgirl."

Sarah ignored Julie's slip up because she really didn't care at this point.

Julie continued, "Dad said you're riding with us in his truck."

"Okay. Should I wear dangling earrings, too?"

Julie grinned. "Yeah, they'll add a great touch."

In a spontaneous gesture Sarah hugged Julie. "Thank you."

Several minutes before five, Sarah sat nervously on the couch with her hands tucked under her knees. She hadn't felt this anxious in a long time. You'd think I was going on a date.

She glanced from her wrapped foot to the other one in her fancy cowboy boot, wishing she could have worn both of them. Hearing a door close at the back of the house, she waited for Sage to enter from the kitchen. When he walked into the room, she couldn't breathe. He looked like he'd just stepped off the cover of Cowboy Vogue with his longish mahogany hair brushed back and golden highlights visible even inside the house. He wore an off-white Chambray shirt tucked into faded low-riding Levis. An intricately tooled deep-chocolate leather vest complimented his tan. The inevitable leather belt and silver buckle encrusted with semiprecious stones completed the look.

Sarah realized she was staring and quickly looked down at his brown and beige ostrich boots.

"Ready to go, Sarah?" If he'd noticed her gaping, at least he was polite enough to act like he hadn't.