-Chapter Eight-

"Did you just say what I think you said,"

Jedidiah scowled and tipped his hat to hide his red face.

"'S whatcha do when ya care fer someone a whole lot, right?"

"Well," Larry sat shocked, half wondering when the West's ideals had changed, half wondering how he hadn't noticed the little men's relationship previous, "I guess I just... didn't notice you two were dating?"

If it's possible, the red on the tiny cowboy's face deepened. He now resembled a cherry tomato.

"Datin'? No, we ain't been doin' that!" Jed flopped into a laying position, one arm over his eyes, "I jus'... think 'e means the most t' me anyone ever has. I think 'es..." he took his arm off his face and grabbed his hat, bringing it to his chest in a love struck gesture, "more than I could ever hope t' describe,"

The gears were turning in Larry's head; albeit slowly. He vaguely remembered reading history books with Nicky. Marriage was more common than dating in both Octavius and Jedidiah's cultures... for different reasons.

"Well... if it helps, I don't think Octavius would object. You might have to explain to him that as marriage got Westernized, it became a promise to always be by your partner's side. Back in his day it was more of a forced thing,"

"A promise to always be by your partner's side," Jed repeated, "I like the sound of that,"

"Well... I suppose we could set you up something, depending on how serious you are. We might have to get my friend Ruth in on the whole museum secret, but-"

"You would do that for us, Gigantor??"

"Well, yeah," Larry laughed, "You gotta ask him first though,"

Jed paled at this, "Oh. Yeah,"

"Don't worry too much Jed," Larry smile, "I promise it'll go well,"

Jedidiah huffed, "Can ya' drop me off in the West? If I'm gonna do this, imma do it right,"

[]_[]_[]_[]_[]

"It's definitely not contagious," Polly looked at her clipboard, "So you can have visitors while we wait for your actual results. But not too many. And you're to stay in the tote,"

Octavius felt sick. Modern medicine was strange. The doctor had taken his blood, spit, mucus, urine, and had poked and prodded him for what felt like forever. Mostly in his stomach. His hand instinctively fell to it now, though it did nothing for his illness.

"It seems you feel nauseous. Are you dizzy?"

"A bit,"

"Do you have a significant other that could help you back? Should I have the giant bring in the cowboy?"

Octavius's cheeks darkened, "Oh! No... 'Diah and I aren't-"

"'Diah?" Polly threw him an 'are you serious' look.

He hid his face in his hand.

"I'll have the giant bring in the cowboy,"

[]_[]_[]_[]_[]

Jedidiah held tight to the metal bands in his right hand. He had visited his town's blacksmith after a small detour to the mineral exhibit, and now had two gold rings dotted with polished jasper and lapis lazuli.

A nervousness spread through his body. He tried to bite it down.

"Ya' know, kemosabe," He said to Larry, "I ain't never been more sure of anythin' in my life, but I'm still rattled,"

Larry stopped short of the door, "Yeah, well... that means you care right?" He looked down at Jed, "If you weren't nervous, it would mean you didn't really care about how he would react, so... I suppose it's a good thing. Can't get married without caring about your spouse, right?"

Jed gently shifted the rings into his pocket.

"I 'spose yer right,"

"Of course I am, I'm the night guard," Larry smirked to himself, "Alright, let's let you two see each other,"

[]_[]_[]_[]_[]

Octavius whipped his hand off his stomach when he heard the door open. It wasn't so much on purpose- he hadn't even realized it was there to begin with- but rather an instinctual movement, like when a kid hides something from their parent.

"Octy! You good?!" Jed yelled from Larry's hand. A smile graced Octavius's face. It had been entirely too long since he had seen his cowboy counterpart.

"I'm over here, 'Diah!"