-Chapter Nine-

They were hugging before Octavius was even on Larry's palm.

"They know what's goin' on yet? Y' got the measles? Mumps? Typhoid Fever?"

Octavius scoffed and slid off Larry's hand, scooting sideways as Jed jumped off and vaguely catching Larry say something about talking to the doctor on the other side of the room.

"I am fairly certain you made all of those up,"

"Please Octy," Jed sat down across from where Octavius was sitting, then quieted his voice into something genuine and surprisingly soft: "I'm worried 'bout'cha,"

Octavius sighed and looked down.

"...they don't know what it is yet. I believe I have an idea though," His eyes met Jed's, "When I was alive, I had dogs. One of them... fell ill. A growth formed on his side and it slowly sucked the life from him," Octavius looked away.

He shakily pulled up his shirt.

"I believe in English, it is called cancer. There is... no cure," He dropped the garment, "If this is the case, I am afraid I do not have much time left,"

Jedidiah looked shattered.

"Not much time left?"

Octavius seemed to notice his mistake, and switched sides to sit by Jed as a form of comfort.

"This is not for certain my friend. Simply a speculation," he placed his hand on the blond's shoulder, "However much time I have left, it would be an honor to spend it with you,"

This seemed to drag Jed out of his stupor.

"Y'know... I was jus' thinkin' the same thing,"

A small smile graced his face. He took his hat off and stood up.

"Now, we both know I ain't the best with words. But even if I was, I wouldn't be able to explain what'cha mean t' me. All I know is, yer my best friend, and the best person I ever met. So when I found out there was a promise I could make t' stay by your side forever?" He sunk down to one knee, "How could I pass that up?"

Octavius seemed to be connecting the dots, vaguely remembering how Nicky had explained his parents relationships and how marriage was now based on love rather than politics.

Jedidiah gently got a ring out of his pocket.

"Gaius Octavius. I love you more than anyone I've ever met. I need you more than water. I don't care how long we live, life is worth livin' with you in it. Would you do me the honor of being my husband?"

Said man was shocked. Soon, rivulets of tears began streaking his face, a wobbly smile stained his lips.

"Of course, 'Diah. There's no man I would rather stand by,"

[]_[]_[]_[]_[]

On the other side of the room, oblivious to the newly engaged miniatures crying and laughing, Larry spoke to Polly.

"What do you mean it doesn't make sense?"

"I mean that the tests that are coming back don't make sense. None of the results that are coming back are viable for General Octavius,"

"Why aren't they viable?"

"While there isn't much I can tell you due to doctor-patient confidentiality, I can tell you that at least half of the results are only viable for women, and the rest are contradictory,"

Larry looked like he was about to argue, but Polly spoke over him.

"These were just precautionary anyway. This machine will tell us exactly what's wrong the moment we awaken tomorrow. It was originally made so that little kids could write the diagnosis down on a piece of paper and stick it to the "screen". Luckily, this works in our favor. The other samples were to see if there was a quicker option,"

"...oh,"

"Yeah, I work for tips. I even except lego money... but I prefer the more usual currency of anything shiny or valuable,"

     Larry took out some of the tiny coins he had gotten from the other miniatures over time and handed them to her.

     "Hey... how is it you know what you're doing? The other miniatures I know had no idea what was going on until we explained to them,"