5.

Oscar and the King had ridden off together early in the morning, Tegan learned from Sir Nero. The King hadn't even taken Sir Nero or anyone else with them.

"It should be fine, though," Sir Nero said, "They're both skilled swordsmen. And not like anyone in this kingdom could win against His Majesty."

It was true. The magic with which every royal children, especially the eldest one, is born cannot be defied or defeated. Especially now that the King had total control of it after using it skillfully in suppressing the rebellion of the Exiled Prince. It was something else. Tegan was uncomfortable because...of him.

"Are you worried that Osc-" Sir Nero started but stopped quickly after Tegan's vivid, violet glare.

"I'm not worried about anything," Tegan turned and walked off. It was their fifteenth day on hunting. The Prince and the other noble children were all in a competition right now. Only the King wasn't part of it. Even Elijah, Felix's daughter, was competing against these men. She was raised like a boy, learning swordplay and drilling in her father's grounds. But Tegan was fond of her all the same. Being strong and tough wasn't something bad. He was writing a letter in answer to the one Marques Theon sent when a guard informed him about the King's return. Tegan wanted to go see him. But he didn't and kept writing. When there were footsteps outside his Tent, Tegan knew who it was.

"Tegan," the King's voice came in with a rush of cold wind. Tegan got to his feet, "Welcome back, Your Majesty."

The King was still in his hunting cloths, of course, and when he put one arm around him and pressed his face against Tegan's throat, Tegan murmured,

"It's cold."

"Yes, but you're warm," the King's hot tongue made contact with Tegan's throat and then it was inside his mouth, swirling along with his own warm one.

"You taste so sweet, Tegan," the King smiled, stroking his face. Tegan blushed, embarrassed, "Please don't talk in that way, Your Majesty."

"Oh my, are you bashful?" he laughed and kissed him again, "You're so adorable, Tegan."

"Don't..."

"I love you, Tegan," the King's arms wound themselves around Tegan's waist and he rested his face on Tegan's shoulder.

"Don't, Your Majesty."

It was silent inside the huge, compartmented tent for a while. Then the King raised his head and looked at him, "Do you really not love me?"

"I do...but not in that way," Tegan tried to free himself but the King pressed closer and pushed Tegan back into his chair, "Your Majesty. There are so many people outside, you can't possibly think about..."

"Why," the King's voice became dark, "Why no one ever considers me their first priority?"

"Huh?"

"Tegan, it was always like this. The most important person to mother was...father, the most precious son Percy. Oscar put the future of this Kingdome before me and left. And now you're also pushing me away. Why do you all keep treating me like a tool for ruling over this kingdom and making the people happy?"

"It's not like that, Your Majesty," Tegan shook his head slowly, "But as a king, your first priority should be the people's welfare...aside from that, you're the first priority of everyone else, trust me."

"Liar," the King sank to his knees before Tegan and put his hands on the arms of the chair, "No one sees me as a person. You all just think of me as the King, someone who should never fail in any task and never make a mistake, who should never think about his own happiness or desires. Is that it?"