CH 7: My Way

I look around the room in awe. This looks exactly like my room.

I walk around running my fingers around the edge of the desk then I go to the bed and throw myself on it. Taking a deep breath, I can't help but feel like I am back home.

When I was little I remember wanting to run away from the palace. My parents would never let me out and I always felt trapped. I had no friends and no one other than the people in the palace had actually seen my face. I felt alone. So one day I decided to escape. I planned out the escape route by using the map of the palace that was inside of the library. I was going to take a secret tunnel that was used for royals only when there was an attack in the palace. It lead next to a market place in the town under the big hill that the palace was built on. I had packed a small bag with only money and food and was then on my way out. I sneaked around the palace but it wasn't easy since there were so many guards in each and every corner.

Finally finding my way to the door that led to my freedom, I ran as fast as my feet could take me. By the time the guards had found out I was gone I was already more than half way through the tunnel. I ran for a long time until I finally saw it. The exit was only big enough for one person to go through at a time. I quickly climbed up the ladder and pushed up the heavy metal lid. I pulled myself out and was quickly met with the blinding sun. I laid on the grass for a bit trying to catch my breath before finally getting up to adjust my bag and making my way towards the sounds of a busy street. Upon entering the marketplace it was nothing like how I imagined it. I had seen pictures in books about the marketplace and it had looked so colorful and lively. Everyone in those pictures looked happy. Even the children looked to be playing and in their own world. However this place now looked like my home, dark and empty. There was no one smiling and the little kids were grabbed onto their parents with frowns on their faces as well. Everything looked gray in color. There was no life.

I returned back to my home willingly that night because what was the point of escaping the palace when everything outside the palace was just the same. I wanted a change but instead I got hit with reality and it seemed so brutal for me as a kid. When I got home I was welcomed by my mother and a few guards. They aggressively took my bag and brought me to the throne room where I was taught one of the longest lessons of my life. All that happened when I was only 13 but it still feels like it was yesterday.

Getting up from the bed I walk to the bathroom and turn on the water in the shower. I quickly wash off all the grime in my face, hair and body and then dry myself off with the fresh towels placed in the cupboards. I then put on the torn up dress to at least cover up some of my body and proceed to brush my teeth and comb my hair.

Finally feeling clean I get out of the bathroom and put on my shoes. I look towards the bed and there he is in all his glory.

"What are you doing here?" I say to the annoying man that was now getting up from my bed and turning towards me.

"Hongjoong said that I had to take you to get some clothes since yours look like...that," he said jutting his head out to signal the state of my dress.

"You know you could've waited outside while I washed up. What if I had come out the bathroom naked," I said while crossing my arms in front of me.

"Well I doubt you would've done that but even if you did I don't think there is anything special to look at anyways," He looked up and down my body with a look of disinterest.

"Would you stop looking at me like that you pervert," I say feeling a bit uncomfortable under his stare. "Look, Hongjoong said you were going to wait downstairs, so yes you could've seen me naked had I decided to change out here instead of in the bathroom and even if you don't find me attractive, which I could care less about by the way, I still think it's polite to try and respect boundaries," I was starting to get heated up by his rude behavior.