CH 8: Run

I turn off my lamp and close my eyes letting myself get swallowed up by the darkness. I'm about to enter my dreamland of nightmares once more but then I am interrupted when I start hearing gunshots coming down the hallway and suddenly my door bursts open.

A girl with long pink colored hair opens then quietly shuts the door of the bedroom and turns on the light. She looks to be out of breath as she lays her head on the door. One hand is holding what looks like a sword while the other reaches to lock the door.

I silently get up and find myself walking towards her. She turns around in a swift movement and is visibly surprised at my presence, her eyes widen as she jumps back a little and places her free hand over her mouth in order to silence herself while she points at me with her sword.

"Who are you?" I say as I take a few more steps forward now, becoming more than just a little suspicious of her.

Quickly composing herself she brings down her sword and sticks out her hand in a form of greeting, " My name is Abigail," I grab her hand and she vigorously shakes it.

"To what do I owe the pleasure abigail?" I ask, still quite frazzled at the fact that she appeared right when I was about to sleep.

"Well I came here to look for some things, you see this used to be my room before I moved," She says while smiling and keeping eye contact with me, "... but I didn't know they had someone else take my place here."

I carefully look into her eyes to see if they held any bad intentions because although I barely communicated with people in the palace, I wasn't stupid. There was something odd about the way she was smiling at me, it was very peculiar and honestly fake.

"Who was it that gave you permission to enter this room?"

"Well the Captain of course," her head tilts to the side feigning innocence.

She stares into my eyes for a few more seconds before she starts looking around the room "Is it alright if I look around, I really do think that I left something in here," She states while keeping the same creepy smile.

My face shows a stoic indifference to her attempt at trying to make me trust her and for a second I see her smily facade crack before she replaces it with an even brighter smile. I nod nonetheless since I was dying to see how this would play out.

As soon as I nod she quickly goes around the room and starts looking through the drawers. I stay in my position somewhat near the door as I turn around to see what she was doing.

I stay silent for a few seconds already having a bad feeling in my gut. Seeing that she is a little busy I back away from her silently just a few steps until I am only about a foot away from the door. I shift my eyes to my left and see a big umbrella with a metal handle. I look at the girl who now has her back to me as she inspects the shelves in the closet.

Deciding to test her patience I start asking her questions, "Ummm abigail..." She responds with a 'yes?' as she continues to look through the drawers that are very much empty but she looks through every nook and cranny anyways.

"How did you get in here? I mean I locked the door before I was going to sleep so I am just not sure how you would get in, in the first place."

She stops abruptly at the question, not having expected it clearly. She turns to look at me as she responds "Well I have the key since as I told you, I used to live here," She says through her smiling lips and gritted teeth.

"Ohhhh I see!" I exclaim rather exaggerating my enthusiasm of getting to know the answer to my question. She turns around once more and crouches to look inside drawers of a small display case, her dark gray cloak uncovering enough of her side allowing me to see the flintlock pistol that was well hidden in her waist belt.