Chapter 17 - Behind

A/N: This chapter is one of the two added chapters that I mention in a future note. For new readers, this note will make no sense, you don't need to worry either. Enjoy the flow of the story, for the ones here before this change, I'm sorry you have to go back to read this, I hope you enjoy it either way! (Also it's a fun test to see who reads my notes hehe c;)

---

A yawn escaped y/n's lips as she stood making tea, thankfully it wasn't too late so no one would be bothered by the noise it would make. On the kitchen floor next to her Kyokai slept peacefully, wagging his tail and woofing gently in his sleep. For a moment she looked down at him with envy. It would be so nice to not have to worry about demons, to just eat food and be cute for your whole life. It sounded amazing. But then, she was sure dogs also had things they struggled with. By the time she looked back the tea was ready, carefully she poured it into a cup. Luckily just before she went to pick it up, Kyojuro barged into the room.

"I have a great idea!" He declared, a proud smile on his face.

"Good evening to you too..." Y/N gave him a soft smile as she blew on her tea, waiting on it cooling down.

"Oh, hello y/n!" She gave a small wave. "Where is everyone?" He patted Kyokai, who had sleepily walled over to him.

"Probably about to sleep I'm guessing. I just finished a mission half an hour ago, Senjuro left food for us so make sure you have some." Y/N informed. She watched as Kyojuro's smile brightened at that and made his way to the leftovers. "So what's your idea?" She wondered if he ever stopped working.

"I want to make a training session!" Y/N listened with intrigue, wondering what this could mean. "The other Hashira believe that we have very few capable demon slayers, I want to take a few days to give the ones available a boost in abilities." Somehow, that idea warmed her heart. He was so kind and helpful, always wanting the best for everyone. He ate his food while explaining the process, not forgetting to appreciate every bite. He finished eating at the same time as he finished explaining.

"That sounds great!" She sipped her tea gently, it was still too hot. For a moment she was distracted, but a moment was all it took for Kyojuro to end up right next to her. With the teacup back where it was, she turned. With the most tender touch he held her small hands in his much larger ones, his gaze landed on her face with hopeful admiration.

"Will you join me?" The softness of his voice following the actions pressured a blush onto her face, mouth opening slightly in slight surprise. Silently, she gave him a nod and a smile. His excitement was entoxicating, and it made her excited for the training too somehow. At the sign of her agreement the hashira wrapped her in a tight hug. "I'm so happy you're here." He whispered into her hair, swaying them both gently. A short while after he pulled back, still holding her in his arms. Y/N's flustered face made him grin, proud of himself for bringing this reaction out of her. Lovingly he leaned down, placing a soft kiss on her lips.

It took a moment for her to respond, but when she did she felt him smile against her. There was no force behind it, it was gentle and he was willing to wait for y/n's response. The moment was short as they parted, lovestruck gazes on their faces. "Goodnight, y/n." With that, he headed off to rest. Another yawn finally forced itself onto her, she would finish her tea and rest too.

Birds sang as the morning light beamed brightly, serving as a wake up call. Somehow, that night made her feel well rested, she couldn't tell why or how. She had a simple morning routine as she hummed to herself, smiling the whole way. Even the tension of the family breakfast didn't change her great mood. It didn't last long however, as Shinjuro would never eat with his family. He'd take his food and leave back to his room. If it weren't for the age details and his intense power, she'd be convinced that Kyojuro was the parent and that his father was just a moody teenager. She wondered what he was like before the grief got a hold of him...