Chapter 14- Confession

This separation, incident, and conversation over the phone cleared the cloud from Sai's mind. She understood the depth of her feelings for Virat. She now knew that her heart beat for him, and she loved him, a love that would endure until her last breath.

Virat's emotions, tension, care for her and desperation to reach her conveyed that a fire had been ignited on both sides. Sai sensed that Virat also loved her, but from his gestures, she understood he might not confess it. So, she decided to confess her feelings to him.

The next day marked the last day of Sai's seminar. Virat and Sai talked normally over the phone, breaking the awkwardness of approaching one another. Onstage, the Indian Medical Council announced that Sai and three of her friends' papers had been selected to be represented at the Imperial College School of Medicine, London. They were to go to London for a week.

If she had received this news a few months ago, she would have been the happiest person in the world. However, now she felt a pang of sadness at the thought of leaving Virat again for a week. She wanted to share the news and confess her feelings to him before leaving, so she decided to give him a surprise visit.

While her classmates and teachers prepared to board the plane to Nagpur, she boarded a flight in a different direction after informing her father-in-law and mother-in-law. She also called Virat, informing him that she was about to board a plane and that her phone would be switched off. Virat wished her a safe journey and asked her to inform him once she reached home. He busied himself with meetings and presentations, eager to return home and see Sai.

In the afternoon, Sunny, Virat's PA and childhood friend, received a message from Sai. "Sunny Dada, is Virat Sir around you? I want to talk with you privately." Sunny, fondly regarding Sai as a little sister, thought, "Now, what has this spirited girl done?" He excused himself from Virat and called Sai.

Sai was excited to receive Sunny's call and said, "Sunny Dada, can you bring Virat Sir to the small cafe 'Smiles & Bites' situated opposite your Delhi office building in two hours during lunch hour?" Sunny, a food enthusiast, noticed the cafe and asked, "Are you here in Delhi, Sai?" Sai sheepishly replied, "Yes, I am planning a surprise for Virat Sir. Please, pretty please, Sunny Dada. I will give you my Aai's special fried Modak."

Sunny smiled at Sai's words and agreed. Sai assured him that Virat would not be upset, and he set off to bring Virat to the cafe.

During lunchtime, Sunny suggested to Virat, "Veer, today I don't want to eat canteen food in this cabin. Let's go out for lunch. Please, I've been listening to you for the last few days; today, you listen to me. You know how much I love food." Virat, checking his phone where he had received Sai's message about her safe arrival, agreed. They walked out of the office, and when Virat was about to call his car, Sunny said, "I want to go to the cafe on the opposite side. We don't need a car." Virat looked toward the small cafe Sunny was pointing at and said, "Are you sure, Sunny, that you don't want a fancy lunch somewhere else?" Sunny nodded, and they walked toward the crowded but tastefully decorated cafe.

A young lady named Ruhani welcomed them as the owner of the cafe. "I am Ruhani, and this cafe belongs to me. Please come and enjoy your lunch." Sunny introduced himself and Virat, expressing their interest in the first floor. Ruhani smiled, recognizing Sunny's name, and guided them upstairs.

The first floor was beautifully decorated, and Ruhani led them to a side with a picturesque view. Virat asked, "Sunny, don't you feel like we are invading someone's privacy?" Sunny, appreciating the view through the large glass wall, replied, "She chose a nice place." Virat inquired, "Who?" Sunny responded, "The owner of the cafe. Corporate park in the front, and this scenery in the back."

As they conversed, a girl brought two cups of coffee and homemade biscuits. Sunny, noticing the order matching their preferences, wondered as they hadn't placed any order yet. However, it wasn't Sai. Virat was also surprised, and when he picked up a biscuit, he found a note underneath. It read, "Thank you, Virat Sir, for coming into my life, for taking care of me silently, for giving me confidence and support." Recognizing Sai's handwriting, Virat searched the surroundings and noticed a burst balloon revealing numerous candid pictures of himself. He found another note, "Our marriage happened out of the blue, a compromise, but I don't know when I started feeling for you. Today, I want to tell you that my heart beats for you."

Virat was in disbelief, and as he looked around, five boys and girls, including Ruhani, appeared holding a banner that read, "I love you, Virat Sir." After a brief moment, they left, leaving Virat's eyes fixed on Sai, dressed in a simple black long dress.

A smile initially appeared on Virat's lips but vanished as a frown took its place. Sai thanked the banner holders, and Virat confronted her, saying, "What are you doing here, Sai? You said you reached home! And Sunny, did you know about this? That she was traveling alone and all?"

Sai hurriedly replied, "Oh, Virat Sir, Sunny Dada didn't know anything until a few hours ago. I called him after reaching here and requested him to bring you. I told you I reached my destination, not Nagpur or home."

Virat said, "Hmm, so you arranged tickets and boarded a flight alone." Sai sadly said, "I wanted to give you a surprise, that's why. Sorry if I offended you. Please forgive me." Virat said, "I can, but you have to drop the 'Sir.'"

Sai, confused, said, "What, Sir?"

Virat maintained a stern face and asked, "Who am I?"

Sai hesitated and replied, "Virat Sir."

Virat continued, "What's my name?"

Sai, puzzled, answered, "Mr. Virat Ninad Chavan."

Virat asked, "What is our relationship?"

Sai responded, "Husband and wife."

Virat asked again, "So I am your..."

Sai completed, "Husband."

Virat queried, "Why are you here?"

Sai explained, "To give you a surprise."

Virat pressed, "What did you say some time ago through the banner?"

Sai confessed, "I love you."

Virat continued the playful interrogation, "Sunny, which wife, who claims she loves her husband, calls him 'Sir'?"

Both Virat and Sunny burst into laughter. Sunny, understanding Virat's playful teasing, had known about the surprise, but Sai was thoroughly confused by the Q&A session and Virat's serious demeanor.

She initially felt a bit angry but then smiled again, seeing Virat's genuine laughter.

When Virat finally stopped laughing, he pulled Sai into his embrace, kissed her hair, and said, "I love you too, Sai. I never imagined this day could come in our life and so soon. Thank you for making my day and gracing my life. You have brought back the old me before I took charge of this empire. But seriously, as we both confessed our love, can you please stop calling me 'Sir'?"

Sai hesitated initially, but seeing Virat's love and hopeful eyes, she nodded and said, "As you wish, Virat." Virat gave her his dimpled smile and said again, "Love you, Sai." Sai smiled back and said, "Love you too, Virat."

After some time, Ruhani and her team brought food for them. She asked Sunny, "Mr. Deshmukh, should we serve you here, or would you like to go downstairs?"

Before Sunny could respond,

Virat said, "Yes, Sunny, you should go down."

Sunny joked, "Are you trying to throw me out?"

Virat replied, "No, I'm not trying; I am throwing you out. I don't want any third wheel now."

Sunny went downstairs, congratulating the couple, and they spent the day together. Sai shared the news of the opportunity with Virat, and he felt proud of her. Virat, in turn, revealed, "I also have some work in London. I was thinking of offering you to go with me, so it will be a short trip for us too."