XVIII. Thranduil. Silent Promise

Faeryn had been avoiding him. She never had. Thranduil exhaled in frustration as he strode quietly along the halls. These were one of those precious moment when he didn't have to occupy Princess Aerondess and her people. Of course, this moment would be much more enjoyable if Lady Faeryn hadn't chosen the forest over him - her friend.

"My Lord, Lady Aerondess has been waiting for a while now. Should I go and tell her you are not occupied?"

A guard approached by the feet of his throne without him noticing until he spoke.

The mention of the royal guest was the last thing the king needed for this dreadful day. He was out of his mind - which cause was always a certain elleth - and he had to admit that he did not like spending time with the princess at all. She was too predictable, easily pleased, unlike Faeryn who had never failed to stir his day around.

"No. I want to be alone." Thranduil dismissed the guard, he stared into the blank space for a second and finally decided. "Actually, I have some business that needs to be taken care of. Nobody should disturb me."

Without saying another word, the kind strode out of the throne room. He chose the paths where he knew for sure he would not encounter with princess Aerondess or any other source of presence that might stand between him and his business.

Walls after walls, they led him to a familiar room, Faeryn's room. Thranduil stood their for a while, decided to knock first. But how unfortunately, there was no sight of the elleth to amswer the door. The fame stood still and quiet, perhaps she was still somewhere out in the forest.

And so Thranduil did something unlike himself. He waited. Allowing his figure to sink into the shadowed part of the hall, he avoided being seen by the maids and guards of the palace as they were working in fast pace.

He waited, and was very aware that his patience was running out, which was again, unlike himself. Having lived for so many centuries had the king to lose track of time easily, but this was the first time in so long that he acknowledged the long wait. He knew Faeryn would be flattered, seeing her whom he had been waiting for in the dark like a thief.

At first, he did not noticed, but then the footsteps got louder as they came nearer. He held his breath, feeling as if he was in a game of hide and seek that he and Faeryn used to play in their younger days. Whoever it was started to head towards him and stopped short in surprise.

"Thranduil! What are you doing there in the dark? And at my door?!" The elleth yelped, totally caught off guard.

The king emerged himself quickly, his eyebrows churned, looking not very pleased. "I have been waiting." For an awfully long time. Mentally, he added.

Faeryn pushed him aside as she opened her chamber, sliding in. Thranduil, indeed, followed.

"Don't you have a realm to rule or something?" He heard her asking, her back facing him so it was hard to tell if she was mad at him or just simply playing with him.

"Say, my dear mellon. Where were you the whole day?" Ignoring her question, he asked.

Faeryn took off her coat and threw it onto her bed. "Out to the woods." She answered curtly as if it was a fact.

Thranduil bit back a scold. This was unlike Faeryn. His Faeryn was kind, gentle and wise. She did not bear such attitude when speak. "Without my company?"

"My apology. But I am at no place to demand such thing from you noble. Perhaps, our future Queen will appreciate it, as you see, she deserves it." Cooly, the elleth said.

Thranduil looked scandalous. Faeryn did have that spirit inside her. And guts, too. He was not sure if he should be angry, or even if he was, he was certain of whom should he be angry with: himself or Faeryn.