III. Thranduil. Coming Home

They marched back to their home, with a third of the army they left with, none was uninjured.

Thranduil sat stiffly on his horse with Faeryn leaning on him. She was sleeping peacefully, currently forgetting her wound, currently running away from the haunted scene of fire and death they had left behind. Thranduil looked down at the elleth's pretty face, what he had done millions of times before. Only now Faeryn looked different, where did the peaceful look on her face go?, he wondered but then quickly realized he was not the only one who just went through a living nightmare. I wish it was a nightmare. Thranduil sighed; in a nightmare, Oropher would not die.

Faeryn was his only comfort right now, she never left his side after all that happened. They had offered her to lay down and rest on a stretcher they perfunctorily made but Faeryn refused. She insisted on riding a horse and keep Thranduil company, walk if she had to. Thranduil agreed.

He soon regretted it when Faeryn almost fell down from her horse as his friend's injury had taken ever bit of energy left in her.

"Your stubborness is quite troubling sometimes, you know?" The prince whispered to the sleeping elf. She gave him peace, she gave him hope and she gave him strength. The only three things Thranduil needed, Faeryn was all capable of giving him. "What would I do without you, my friend?"

"My Lord, Woodland Realm is right ahead of us. We're home!" A guard informed him, sounding incredibly happy.

The prince nodded. From the far, he could see the magnificent sight of the palace. Glimmering in the sunlight, the big gate was beautifully carved with gold and silver, the trees were green and still, the scent of grass, the sound of each drop of water from the nearby stream as they hit the cold, stern rocks. Woodland Realm was welcoming them home with its glory.

When the army reached the gate, to their surprise, it opened instantly, revealing a worried elf running frantically to where Thranduil was.

Laebon could not help a panic yelp as he saw his daughter with her eyes shut, her body leaned loosely against the prince. A mad thought came across the father that his only, precious daughter was dead.

"She's injured, Healer Laebon. Take care of her." Thranduil told the royal healer. The young elf got down from his horse, he carefully brought Faeryn into his arms as he bridally held her and gave the elleth to her father.

When passed, Faeryn shifted uncomfortably and unconciously gasped in pain. Thranduil frowned at the sight.

With his daughter home, Laebon sighed in relief. He had heard of king Oropher. The prince still had so much to learn but the king was no longer able to teach him.

"You are no better, my Lord. Come, I will help you."

"I will carry her, Laebon. Go and make yourself prepared."

The older elf nodded. "To my room should be more convenient."

The two elves walked down the luxurious corridor that ran in a hill pattern, with a few turns, it finally led Thranduil to a simple wooden door. Laebon quickly unlocked it, he motioned to prince to come inside before closing the door behind them. The portal did not end there but introduced to a short corridor with two other doors at its ends. Thranduil knew exactly which way to turn as he had, with Faeryn, ran through here for countless of time; the door to the right was hers, where they usually hid there and she would show him the chest where her most precious were kept.

"I found this another day in the forest." Faeryn had held the small, silvery flower in her palm that day, her pretty green eyes twinkled as the pretty flower was actually glowing in the hazy shade of daylight. "Do you know what it is called?" She asked him, her lips turned into a pleasing smile as the prince shook his head.