VIII. Faeryn. Stranger

"And you just walked away?" The dark haired elleth incredulously asked.

And the blonde elf nodded.

"Just like that? Straight out?"

He nodded again, his eyes fixed on the companion, amused.

"Then pray tell, king Thranduil..." She paused, her distinguish green eyes started scanning him. "What did your brilliant mind think then?"

"It will work, Faeryn. Have a little faith in me." Thranduil rolled his eyes at the elleth.

The two had been wandering in the woods for the whole morning then, and as they rode their horses in between the layers of trees, the place was surprisingly quite and peaceful.

"I do have faith in you, my friend, never doubt that. It is the dark creatures I don't trust." Faeryn shook her head, what Thranduil did was risky but brilliant in a way. She knew what the king wanted when he said those words; if his prediction failed, it would pay him with his pride and trust, however if it not, the Members would truly see him as their king and they shall believe in his capability, Lord Anglor would not dare to say a thing.

"I see you are worrying more about Lord Anglor." Thranduil stated and much to her dismay, it was true. He rode the horse forward and in a blink of the eye, Faeryn found herself falling behind.

"Shouldn't I be?" The maiden elf chased after the king, and soon she caught up with her lord. "Tell me why you are not happy." Faeryn sincerely asked as her body leant forward in order to take a closer look at Thranduil's face.

She watched him carefully, half amusement and half worried; both feelings lingered like a scale and it was very hard for the elleth to express concern without drawing a grin to her lips.

"You always worry yourself on my behalf, dear Faeryn. Even when it's not your battle to fight." Thranduil sighed in frustration and Faeryn's hidden grin slowly morphed into a frown.

Conversations like this had never been the elleth's liking. She did concern but never had she poke her nose in where it did not belong. Sure there would be advices, however in nowhere there would be pressure.

"You are my family, Thranduil. When was the last time you have a proper meal? When was the last time you have a dreamless sleep, let alone a real sleep?" Faeryn stopped her horse and reached out for the king's hands on the rein, soft as ever, the maiden elf placed hers upon his, trust and absolute loyalty coloured her eyes. "How can you expect me to not worry, my friend?"

There came a calm silence blanketed that part of the woods, all those heard were the rustles of the high layers of leaves, where the sun shined the brightest and where the evergreens seemed like they were to touch the sky. And the birds, the jolly melodies they created were the masterpieces of nature, they were the calls of life.

Everything single little thing that added in that picture was more than enough to call Woodland Realm paradise, but with Thranduil, it felt like home.

Finally, Thranduil's lips curved into a friendly smile as he gave her hand a warm squeeze, blue eyes pinned on her pretty little dimple. "You are my family, the only one left. Whatever makes you happy gives me the most pleasure."

"Then let me stay with you, through whatever comes and whatever may."

Nodded Thranduil and Faeryn was pleased, they let go of each other's hold and started moving forward.

The narrow path in the woods led them to a small stream which its upper reaches flowed through the kingdom. The water was cool and very limpid, the surrounding habitat was so much more than what words could describe. Fancied the sight, Faeryn swiftly slipped down from the addle as Thranduil watched her with admiration.