XI. Faeryn. From The Far Sea

Eventually, she gave up knowing. Which was strange for an elf like her. However, she did.

Faeryn decided to keep her promise: she started living for the presence. Although she had not yet forgotten that day in Laebon's study, where she met her father's stern, cold eyes as the subject of her late mother was brought up, the elleth and the healer agreed to not have it mentioned.

Living for the presence was good. Living for the presence for the next two hundred years was good.

Faeryn had become spectacularly skillful in medical and herbalogy, which are what she loved doing the most. She spent every morning going into the woods for work and would wonder how Thranduil's morning was whilst doing so.

Woodland Realm flourished under his rule. After the prediction he made two hundred years ago about the dark creature in the woods, which happened to be true, none doubted his capability anymore, at least not without Thranduil knowing.

It was a delightful day for paying the citizens of Woodland a visit, which was exactly what on the maiden's mind when the first light of the day enlighted her room.

And so she started packing food along with her medical kit and set out for the short trip.

Before leaving, Faeryn had gone to find Thranduil, however she could not see him anywhere. In fact, she had not talked to him for days, only in brief moments when the elleth saw the king, Thranduil seemed to had age a lot.

The servant elves had informed Faeryn that the king had already left for the early conference when she asked the kindly. The elleth sighed at the news.

"Thank you. After Your Majesty came back, please remind him of the meals, will you? He's not much of an early bird, knowing the king, breakfast has never been one in his daily volunteer routine. "

The maid chuckled but gained back to her straight, professional state in seconds as she realized it was Lady Faeryn who she was talking to. "I didn't...-"

"It's alright. What's harm with a little bit of joy? This palace has grown way too serious for my liking."

She smiled genuinely and so did the maid.

"Are you going somewhere, Milady?"

Looking down at the belongings, Faeryn nodded. "Actually, I am. Just a short visit to the Silvan elves'. I should go, the food is getting cold."

They bade each other goodbyes and Faeryn made her way to the gates. It was, indeed a nice day, however, normal it wasn't, and as the elleth followed the stone pavement, she hummed an enchanted elvish folk song with pure delight, little did she know how one thing could change her future for certain.

~●☆●~

"How kind of you for coming again, Lady Faeryn. The children have been pending on you since your last visit!"

A motherly elleth greeted Faeryn with a warm welcome as she knocked on the door.

Elwen was a mother of two whose husband, unfortunately, had passed away in a serious illness. As Faeryn heard of the dreadful news, she did not wait to come at once for the family. The children, an elf and an elleth were still at a fairly young age, thus Elwen's life was not considered comfort.

"How are the children, Elwen? I brought them some treats." Asked Faeryn as she sat down on the family's wooden chair.

"They are still asleep. Shall I wake them up, Milady?" Gently smiled, Elwen also found herself a seat.

"Oh no, please don't. Just let them be. Mourning is weary as much as it sounds." She reached across the table for the widow's hand. "How are you living now? I know it won't be the same for you and the children."