Episode LIX- Amnesia

"Please, be gentle with her

"Please, be gentle with her. Nuanced stress might aggravate her state. For a few days, try to be prudent and present yourself as she sees you. Let her live believing everything is fine. It will help her recover shortly."

"What do you mean?"

A stupefied Raghuveer asks, unable to wrap his mind around the diagnosis run by his brother. Aryan sighs and leans back in his chair. The cushioned back provided little relief to his sore spine after staying tensed for the past 8 hours in the surgery unit.

"As you know, Vasundhara Bhabhisa {Sister-in-law} woke up after two days of the incident, and there are certain things you have to be careful about. Earlier this morning, when Garima ran a few tests, she realized that your wife has no recollection of many major events in her life. Hence we concluded that it is Dissociative Amnesia. It is caused by stress or trauma and presents as forgetting specific events or periods. In some cases, it could lead to forgetting most of your identity or life history.

In Vasundhara's case, neither she remembers her childhood, nor her parents. The last thing she recalls is falling, or in her words- Flying, that's it. She knows a little about Garima and me but has no idea that we are married, and after some minutes, she recognizes our father as well. But you, you've been on her mind all this time. You only had to come in front of her and she can tell everything about you from back to forward. Your name was on her tongue and she constantly kept enquiring about you.

I know this sounds weird, but somehow, the person she despised all this time and kept a distance from is the only one she remembers perfectly. She confirmed that you are her husband and the date of marriage. I don't think she remembers the kind of asshole you were, or else she had kicked your ass out of the room the moment you entered."

Garima who was sitting on a recliner and enjoying her coffee, chuckles. Raghuveer grumbles and pulls his hair in frustration.

"It would've been so much better if she had forgotten me too. Moreover, are you guys sure that she is not faking it to grab my attention?"

"Oh come on, big brother!" Garima exclaimed, half wheezing with laughter and choking on her coffee. Setting the cup on the table, she clears her throat and looks at him with mirth in her eyes. "Why would you say that? Take it as a positive sign that she knows all the good parts, otherwise, we might have bigger troubles on our hands. She clearly remembers who you are, which means she was emotionally invested in you heavily. At this point, more than any of us, her trust lies in you. And if you will act nonchalantly, it might hurt her feelings. We can't have that at this sensitive moment.

I mean, we are talking about a woman, who has been caring for everybody all this time and has withheld herself from loving her husband, who has cleared how he doesn't want anything from her plenty of times, in these six months of marriage. She was already under great stress and felt deserted. The person behind whom she came into this household and took his name wanted nothing from her. She was so alone. And as you've said right before this traumatic event, you both were indulged in an argument. She was looking for something from you, maybe an apology or validation. Women may come out as more emotionally intelligent than men, but they still crave a little attention and pampering."