Chapter Thirty-Nine

💕Author's Note: Hey, gorgeous! Read ahead (over 100 chapters) by becoming a patron at www.EmendedHearts.com/join

💗💗💗

He leads me through the long hallway, stopping a few times to greet a few people and acknowledge waves from several with a nod of his head.

I can't help but notice several women stare at him as we walk by, their eyes roaming over him seductively in an obvious show of lust and wanting. Their looks are admiring and appraising...until their attention shifts to me.

Their eyes grace me with scowls and glares, as if they'd like nothing more than for me to shrivel up and disappear into thin air.

I swear, if eyes could kill, I'd have died, resurrected, died and resurrected, and died again at least twenty times over in under five minutes.

I really don't get it. They have no reason whatsoever to glare or be mad at me. I'm not his woman. This is just a misunderstanding.

Okay, it's a huge misunderstanding, but it's not at all what it looks like—although I have to admit the whole thing does appear pretty compromising, and unfortunately, in the real world, appearances are everything.

I guess I can't really blame them for believing otherwise. Heck, I'd probably be thinking the same thing if I was an outsider looking in.

But all the same, what the hell are they mad at me for? It's not like he's available either way. He's got a wife. Surely they know that. Or maybe they just don't care?

Somehow, a lot of the women here strike me that way, and the Rainbow girls are obviously here to do their jobs and make money, and I'm pretty sure Mindy doesn't care whether her money is coming from single or married men, just as long as it's coming.

Dr. Frost doesn't seem to notice the women giving me stink looks and death glares. He continues to lead me throughout the vast mansion, and I just follow in silence, feeling incredibly timid, like a shy, introverted child on her first day at school.

God, this is so damn uncomfortable. I don't even know how I'm going to get through the rest of this night after this.

We finally make our way outside through a pair of large floor-to-ceiling French doors, and I brace myself for the storm I know is about to come.

We walk down a circular stairwell and pass by a group of people gathered by the most beautiful waterfall monument I've ever seen.

What the hell is up with this place and all its damn stairs?

My feet throb as if they're literally on fire, the shoe straps mercilessly digging into my inflamed and probably swollen skin now.

I try to ignore the pain as we continue to descend the steps, and as I get to the last one, I miscalculate and stop just short of it, leading me to stumble.

My ankle wobbles and gives, forcing me to lose my balance, and the treacherous shoes once again cause my demise. My hands flail out on reflex once more, and I can't believe this is seriously happening again.

I hate these shoes for real! I hate Nicole for ever suggesting that I wear them, and most of all, I hate myself for agreeing to.

"Woah, easy there," Frost says, his voice deep and commanding.

I feel both his hands grab at my waist, holding me from behind and breaking my fall once more. I really feel like Humpty-Dumpty tonight. This is so embarrassing I want to crawl into one of the holes in this magnificent green lawn and die. Why do these things always have to happen to me? Was once really not enough? I seriously had to have an encore?