Chapter 3

Petalkit jerked her eyes open. Where am I? The den was dark and cozy. Dim light poured through the cracks of the bracken. The nursery. Her dream, it had felt so real. But how did she get back here?
"Good, you're awake" her sister's voice echoed from outside. "I was getting worried, you were thrashing around last night"
Petalkit looked around, "where's Robinwing?"
"By the entrance, where else?" Nightkit snorted, "she's never anywhere else"
Petalkit sighed, "thanks anyway" and she padded out. Sure enough, by the entrance of camp, Robinwing sat, staring off into space.
"Robinwing?" She asked quietly, "are you ok?"
No answer
"Robinwing?"
Not even a tail twitch
"Mama?"
"Hm? Oh, morning Petalkit."
That was it? Good morning?
Petalkit swallowed hard. "You weren't in the den" she said, trying to gain her mother's attention.
"Why would I be? I was awake"
She felt a lump in her throat. What about being there with your kits? She thought.
"Well... Ok, I'm going to get some fresh kill." She said, determined not to cry in front of her mother.

***
Petalkit looked at the brown lump of fuzz in front of her. She chewed on it, but she couldn't break the skin.
"Need help?"
She looked up, there he is. She thought and sucked in her breath. "Hi Hawktalon" she said, feeling the familiar yet alien feeling in her chest.
"Need help?" He repeated.
"Huh? Oh yeah! I-I can't break the skin..." She said, feeling foolish.
"Don't worry, I'll help you" he said, bending down to help.
"If you ever need anything, I'm here."