Chapter 5

Petalpaw prowled forward. Her eyes trained on the robin gathering nuts beneath the tree. She tensed and launched herself into the air. She cursed to herself as the robin flew away.
"Come on Petalpaw, you shouldve caught that" Hawktalon scolded.
"Why do we even have to do this?" She complained, "don't we eat fish?"
Hawktalon rolled his eyes, "what about in winter? The river might freeze over? What about then huh? You can't always be lazy and just use the river!" He panted, his eyes looked crazy.
Petalpaw was taken aback, "o-ok..." She said, she'd never seen him this angry.
Hawktalon sighed, "I'm sorry Petalpaw, look, let's just go back to camp, you've earned it."
She went back to camp, she absently picked a trout from the fresh kill pile and settled down by the reed bed. She was lost in thought, she didn't hear Lakepaw until he sat beside her.
"Hey" he said hesitantly.
"Hey" she looked at him, there was something about him... "I have one question"
Lakepaw looked her in her eyes, "go ahead."
"I'm so mean to you... Why do you still talk to me? I've never done anything nice to you."
He opened his mouth to answer but a voice sounded from the High Ledge.
"Let's all cats old enough to swim gather below the High Ledge!" Lilystar yowled. Petalpaw looked at Lakepaw. He shrugged and went to sit. She followed, it seemed urgent.
"Our loyal deputy, Shadetooth, has requested to retire to the elders den." There was a collective gasp from the cats in the clearing.
"In his place Hawktalon will become the next Riverclan deputy!" Another gasp.
"Clan dismissed"
Cats swarmed around Hawktalon, purring congratulations and 'good lucks' and general conversation. Petalpaw hung back. Hawktalon made his way through the crowd and looked at Petalpaw. "You're almost a warrior" he commented, he came closer and whispered in her ear, "just a little while longer."

•••

Petalpaw shivered, the air was growing colder every night. Lilystar led the clan to the gathering tree, whatever that was. Petalpaw could smell the air getting moist, she smelled running water. "Almost there" Hawktalon whispered beside her. Her heart stopped as she saw the Gathering Tree. The tree. The one from her dreams. "This is where my father died" she whispered.
"Did you say something?" Hawktalon asked.
"Hm? Oh, no"
He shrugged and crossed the fallen tree.
She didn't even listen to the meeting.