Chapter 8

Petalcloud laughed as she splashed around. "Come on! It feels great!" Lakewhisker called from the middle.
"Give me a minute!" She laughed as she plunged in after him. She forced her eyes open, the water looked almost still, save the splashing from Lakewhisker. She felt a vague burning, but didn't know what. All of the sudden her breath shot out of her mouth, causing bubbles. Her chest burned and she swam to the top, coughing. She gasped for air as she surfaced. Lakewhisker was dragging her to shallow waters. He seemed worried about her. She stood up and panted, "Lakewhisker, I'm ok" she assured him, but suddenly he was to his feet and he was very, very angry.
"What was that?! You almost died! How could you scare me like that?! I thought you were drowning!" He then sank to his paws, the water lapping at his chin, "I thought I lost you..."
Petalcloud nuzzled him, "I'm not leaving you... Not if I can help it" she promised and licked his cheek. She waited for those few words that would change her life and his. Lakewhisker sighed, "Petalcloud, I like you, probably more like love..." She willed him to continue. "But I can't ask you to be my mate"
And just like that her fantasy shattered, "w-what?" She asked, astonished.
"Don't get me wrong! I want to, but I'm not ready for a mate... I hope you understand.."
She gave a sad smile and sat down beside him, "when you're ready to ask, I'm ready to answer."

•••

Petalcloud followed the rest of the clan to the Gathering. She looked at Hawktalon, who happened to have fallen beside her. News of her rejection had spread through the clan fast, and probably even faster tonight.
"Hey..." She said, hesitant to see how he reacts.
"Hey" he muttered.
"Look, I'm sorry for the whole..."
Hawktalon snorted, "yeah right, you led me to think you liked me, you made me look like an idiot"
She sighed, "I did like you, but as soon as you realized it you started acting like a jerk." She accused.
"Me? A jerk! Ha! You've missed out, plenty of the she cats in Riverclan like me, plus some from other clans."
She rolled her eyes, "there you go again! I wanted a mate that loved me, not one that cared about how many she cats like him!" She pulled ahead of him, she wasn't going to pity him. Let news of his let down travel through the forest. Lilystar called out, "we're crossing the bridge! Mentors, if this is your apprentice's first gathering please keep an eye on them as they cross the bridge."
Petalcloud felt the familiar tingle down her spine as the tree loomed before her. She was determined to solve who killed her father. To connect with her father. To have a father.

•••
"Riverclan is doing fine, plenty of fish in the river to last through leafbare!" Lilystar announced. Petalcloud looked around and noticed many of the cats had their fur fluffed up, shivering in the bitter wind that was passed through the clearing. She looked at Lakewhisker, who was pressed beside her, "leafbare has come early" she commented, moving closer to him. He looked at her, care in his eyes, "it's almost over, then we can go back to camp."
Petalcloud shuffled uncomfortably, "hey... Do you feel like your being watched?" She whispered to Lakewhisker. He shook his head and looked around threateningly, as if his glare could ward away any danger. She shrugged, "guess I'm just tired" she said softly, leaning her head on his shoulder. She closed her eyes, planning to just rest them. Petalcloud woke up to Lakewhisker gently nudging her, "it's time to go" he whispered. She groaned and stood up, "I missed it?" She sighed as Lakewhisker nodded.
"Let's go home" she grumbled and stood up, tiredly leaning on his shoulder as they made their way back to camp.