Chapter 4

"From this moment forward, until you receive your warrior name, you shall be known as Petalpaw"
Petalpaw puffed out her chest as her clan mates called her new name.
She felt a tail touch her back and she turned, hoping for Hawktalon. She was not so lucky. "Wow! Can you believe we're apprentices?" Lakepaw meowed, "we'll get to train together!"
"Yeah..."
He frowned, "are you ok? You seem spaced out"
She shook her head, "I'm fine. Hey, have you seen Hawktalon?"
Lakepaw sighed, "you spend a lot of time together don't you?" He accused, "and now you'll spend even more, lucky you he's your mentor. I'm stuck with Lilystar" he walked away, bitter.
Petalpaw shrugged and spotted her mentor. Her heart fluttered and she walked over, trying to appear calm. "Hey Petalkit- hey, I can't ca you that anymore can I? Petalpaw, how are you? Excited to start training?" The muscular tom meowed. "Y-yeah.." She stammered. mouse dung! Way to play it cool Petalpaw, she cursed to herself.
"Come on, I'll show you the territory" Hawktalon smiled as they made their way out of camp.

•••

Petalpaw tiredly padded into the apprentices den, she groaned internally as she heard a familiar bouncy voice.
"So did you see the territory? I've never been out of Riverclan camp!" Lakepaw said rather loudly. His exclamation was greeted by several angry growls.
"Yeah... My favorite was the lake" she said tiredly, "listen, Lakepaw, we can talk in the morning. I'm tired." She yawned and curled up, and to her surprise he obeyed.
She closed her eyes, letting the sweet darkness consume her.

•••

Petalpaw opened her eyes, at the giant tree. She covered her ears as the familiar screech of pain and fear sounded like an eagle going for its prey. Then came the yowl of sorrow and heartbreak, her mother's. A sudden pain burned inside her, tearing at her heart and her nerves. She screamed, it felt was if she were on fire. Petalpaw. She heard a muffled voice. Petalpaw!
She woke with a start, her heart pounding. Beside her Lakepaw crouched down, staring at her, "Petalpaw! You were whimpering and shaking, I-I hope it's ok that I woke you..."
"It's fine Lakepaw, thank you, it was just a nightmare"
Lakepaw nodded and went back to his best. Petalpaw sighed, this wasn't just a nightmare and she knew it. It was her mother's sad yowl and whoever fell must've been her father. "I know you died for us. I won't fail you. I'll be the best warrior I can be" she vowed to her father, "you will not have died for nothing."