Chapter 7

Petalcloud sat beside the entrance. The wind was bitter, but she was lost in thought, determined not to break the silence of her vigil. She snuck a peek over at Lakewhisker, she sighed, it wasn't love, but it was more then friendship. She looked back out into the forest, the sun was rising.

•••
Petalcloud tiredly ate a water vole, lost in thought. She didn't notice Hawktalon sitting beside her until she heard him clear his throat, "you don't seem very happy to be a warrior" he observed, "what's wrong?"
"I dunno... Just tired I guess"
He didn't seem convinced, "do you want to come on a walk with me?"
She really didn't want to, but she shrugged and nodded.

•••

Hawktalon watched her as they walked. She could feel his gaze burning her side. She could almost feel his smirk. So he knew about my crush too she thought bitterly, what did I see in him? Petalcloud sighed. Hawktalon stopped in front of her, "and now, what you've been waiting for your while life." She gulped and took a step back. "Will you, Petalcloud of Riverclan, make me the happiest tom alive and be my mate?"
Petalcloud wrinkled her nose. Then puffed out her chest and rose up her full height, "no" she said simply. Hawktalon was taken aback, "no? Did you say, no?" He growled, "you've wanted this your whole life! You acted like you loved me!"
Petalcloud stepped away, "I said no, now excuse me, I have to hunt for my clan" she snorted and stomped off.

•••
Petalcloud padded
Into camp, a scrawny vole in her jaws. She found herself searching for Lakewhisker, she spotted him by the reeds. She sat down beside him quietly. He looked up, "what's up with Hawktalon? He seemed angry when he came back"
Petalcloud looked at her paws, "he asked me to be his mate..."
Lakewhisker stared at her blankly, then after a long silence he meowed, "he didn't look very happy about it"
She widened her eyes, "I said no! Of course I wasn't going to say yes to that mouse-brained jerk!"
She heard Lakewhisker let out a breath, hopefully of relief. "It was always a silly crush, nothing more." She whispered.

•••
Petalcloud sat outside the Warrior's den, watching the waves lap at the shore. She heard movement in the Warrior's den and turned, seeing Lakewhisker pad out.
"Can't sleep either huh?"
"No"
He smiled, he angled his ears toward the river bed, "wanna go for a swim?"