Prologue

Calista's POV
I was awoken by the sounds of banging on the hallway closet door "Get up! Get up you brat!" I heard my stepmother shouting making me sit up and call out "Yes ma'am!" Renee left with a final bang before walking away making me left out a silent breath of relief.

I then proceeded to get dressed in the tight, dark space before grabbing my duffle bag and exiting the closet.

Unlike my family members, I wasn't privy to having a real bedroom

Unlike my family members, I wasn't privy to having a real bedroom. Instead I had to make my own bedroom out of spare blankets in a nest in the hallway closet. I hoped that my father would be nice enough to give me a real room or at least a mattress, I didn't care as long as I didn't have to sleep on the floor of a closet anymore.

....you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, huh?

Well, today's the day that my sister and I move in with our father so Renee can go on the road with her new husband. It was honestly a relief to get away from Phil because he constantly made me uncomfortable with his staring and constantly trying to touch my hips, butt, hair, and breasts.

When I told Renee that I didn't like Phil because of this she slapped me and called me a home wrecking whore like my birth mother and decided to ship me and Bella off to our father's.

I'm not sure what I did or what a whore was exactly, but I'm glad that it got me away from Phil.

I briefly thought about my birth mother again and wondered what she was like when she was my age. I didn't know much about her as I couldn't ask my dad as I hadn't seen him since I was 3, and when I asked Renee about her when I was 7 she told me that my mother had killed herself shortly after I was born because she couldn't live with the shame and disgust at having given birth to me.

..... didn't ask for anymore information about her after that.

I finally exit the house and see Renee fiddling with her new cellphone while sitting in the passenger seat of the rusty red station wagon with her legs dangling out of the side. Phil was packing up the back with Bella's suitcases, and by the looks of it I'll need to hold my duffle bag in my lap.

Renee was a 39 year old woman standing at 5'4 feet tall with shoulder length auburn hair and blue eyes with spray tan skin. She had an oval shaped face with sharp facial features (especially in her chin and jawline) full of wrinkles that made people think that she was between 45-48 years old. She was slim and flat with a stick like figure.

Phil was a 24 year old male standing at 6'0 feet with sparkly blue eyes and light brown hair (that he shaved bald) with fair skin. He had an athletic build that he made sure he kept in good shape. He had a goatee that he was oddly prideful about..... I didn't see the appeal in it or his 'fit' figure, but to each his own.

I looked at the suitcases again to see if I could squeeze mine in there before admitting defeat.

I looked up and spotted my half sister, Bella Swan.

She stood at the edge of the cul-de-sac of our cheap, ritzy suburban neighborhood holding a soon to be dead baby cactus in a clay pot. Bella was basking in the sun and completely ignoring the world around her (including the fact that her hands were gruesomely covered in sand and cactus guts).

Bella stood at 5'5 feet tall and had shoulder blade length, stringy brown hair that she swears has hints of red in it (though I don't see it) which frames her oval face shape and sharp, snake like facial features (she inherited her mother's sharp chin and jawline). Her eyes are a dark brown that our parents compare to chocolate but others compare to mud or cow pies. Her skin was sickly pale and her figure was flat and stick, like Renee's, and her thin pale pinkish lips are constantly pulled into a constipated frown and only really change to sneer at me.

And her choice in clothing is....well.... Vibrant and out there.

I don't think I have room to judge though because I only have five outfits and three sets of pajamas because Renee stopped helping me buy things when I was 9 years old resulting in me having to find ways to make money in order to buy my necessities

I don't think I have room to judge though because I only have five outfits and three sets of pajamas because Renee stopped helping me buy things when I was 9 years old resulting in me having to find ways to make money in order to buy my necessities...... but Bella would always steal it from me. I sighed and headed to that car as Bella approached to talk to her mom.

As I passed Phil in order to get to the backseat he suddenly shot his arm out and hit my butt, hard, making me yelp and tears fill my eyes from the pain as I looked back at him to show him that I didn't appreciate the smack.

"You know, I'm gonna miss that pretty little ass walking around the house, it's really too bad that we never got to have any fun together like your sister and I do" he said with a smirk on his face that made my stomach twist in disgust for some odd reason.... I really don't think I want to know what kind of 'fun' they've been having.

I didn't answer but instead scampered off to the backseat where I clambered inside and shut and locked the door behind me in order to give myself some security. I bowed my head and used my hair as a curtain to hide my face as my family also climbed into the car.

I hurriedly wiped my tears away as I curled into my spot in the car and held my bag like a child does a soft toy. I made sure to keep my sobs and sniffles quiet as I didn't want to draw attention to myself.

I hope that Forks was a better place than this......