Chapter 04: Creepy Waylon

Calista's POV
After school I decided to start applying for jobs around town instead of going back to a house where I was unwanted and would only get in the way of my father's and sister's relationship.

There weren't many jobs for a high schooler to do around here as the town was stuck in the 50's-60's. I applied at a thrift store as a clerk, and the grocery store as a stocker and clerk before getting directions to a diner called the Lodge to apply as either a waitress, dishwasher/busgirl.

When I entered, I was surprised to see Bella and Charlie awkwardly sitting together in the back of the diner. I decided not to disturb them and instead ask a nice lady named Cora for some applications. She happily supplied them and gave fries to snack on while I did them, I felt guilty for not having any money to pay for them but she reassured me that they were on the house.

As I filled them out I overheard a conversation between Bella, Charlie, and some drunk stranger;

"Member me, honey? I was Santa one year...." He slurred as Bella eyed him up and down before smirking, but before she could say anything Charlie spoke up and said "Waylon, she hasn't had a Christmas here since she was four" he clearly didn't like his drunk friend around Bella "Bet I made an impression, though" 'Waylon' said grumpily making Charlie scoff and mumble "You always do...."

Cora approached the table and said "Let the girl eat her cod, Waylon" and shooed him off making him stumble towards the bar and plop down in the seat next to me. He dazedly looked at me and smiled "Hey pretty girlie, you look just like my old friend Elisa" I looked up upon hear my mother name and studied the man.

He stood at 6'0 feet tall and had a lean and lanky form. His face was oval shaped and had a sharp jawline with a rounded chin. His ivory skin was heavily wrinkled and I'd guess that he's around 45-48 years old. His wispy, stringy dark brown hair was balding and graying and his muddy brown eyes seemed dazed and confused within his drunken haze.

I don't know how my mother knew him or why she would have been friends with a heavy drinker like him, but he did seem awfully familiar.... I just couldn't quite put my finger on it.

"Yea, me and Elisa go waaaay back. We were childhood friends with Charlie over there" he then sticks his thumb towards Charlie before continuing "She picked Charlie in the end though, worst mistake of her life" he then muttered "Stupid fucking tease."

I quickly became uncomfortable which Cora thankfully noticed and once again shooed him away. This time she thankfully kicked him out. Once I was done, I gave my applications to Cora who handed me a doggy bag in response (once again it was on the house because I 'looked starved') I reluctantly accepted it and was surprised to find a BLT, a cheeseburger, chicken tenders, and more fries stuffed inside it.

I walked home while eating my meal and surprised myself by eating all of it....then again I hadn't properly eaten since the morning before yesterday.

That night I went to bed happy and full, blissfully unaware of the 6 pairs of gold eyes watching me, and the pair of blue eyes watch both me and the owners of said gold eyes.