Chapter 06: Edward returns

Calista's POV
"Hello Calista" Edward says smiling me Bella stops, stunned, and so do I.

He is direct, precise, as if every word was rehearsed before being spoken. I can tell he's trying, I can see that every word is an effort for him. He's trained his voice to be soft like velvet and smooth like silk, he's keeping his body position small and calm, but open.

He's purposely trying to make himself seem non threatening and inviting. He's doing everything possible to make me feel comfortable with him.

Mr. Molina ushers Bella away from Edward and informs her of the seating situation. Edward pulls out the chair next to him and shyly smiles "You okay? I can make Mike sit with one of them and you can sit by me" Angela offered making Edward's smile drop.

I anxiously bite my lower lip, before shaking my head and saying "It's okay Angie, I kinda wanna talk to him" I look at her and smile reassuringly making her timidly smile and nod before going to sit by Mike.

I take a deep breath and walk over to Edward whose face lights back up. I return his smile as I take a seat next to him "I didn't have a chance to introduce myself last week.....My name is Edward Cullen" I smile and say "I know. The most eligible bachelor at school is a hot topic. I'm Calista Swan, but I think you already knew that" I revert my attention to my now open notebook.

"Onion root tip cells! That's what's on your slides. Separate and label them into the phases of
mitosis. The first partners to get it right, win... the golden onion!" I faintly hear Mr. Molina say and glance up to see him excitedly hold up a spray painted onion. Everyone just looks at him with a 'really' expression disappointing Mr. Molina by their apathy.

Everyone sets to work. Edward pushes the microscope towards me first "Ladies first" he says charmingly. I grab the microscope and carefully click the first slide in, adjusting the lens as I take a shaky breath before I start "You've been gone...." He quickly supplies an explanation "Out of town. For personal reasons" making me glance at him to see him attentively staring at me.

"Really? Because everyone was under the impression that Bella and I simultaneously drove you away" I say, unable to stop the accusatory tone making Edward flinch and frown. A pit of guilt forms in my stomach at his kicked puppy expression.

"I'm sor-" I start only to be cut off by Edward saying "Don't apologize. I know that it looked really bad, but.... I wasn't running away from you, maybe Bella, but never from you" his words made me snicker before peeking through the scope "Prophase."

"May I look?" Edward asks making me nod and slide him the microscope. He gently brushes his icy fingers against my hand as he takes it and glances through the lens "Prophase" he says making me subconsciously murmur "Like I said" as I write on the work sheet he follows me lead and writes it down. A smirk pulling at his lips.

"Enjoying the rain?" He asks making look at him in amusement "Seriously? You're asking me about the weather?" I ask as Edward becomes flustered "It appears so...." I chuckled but decided to humor him and answer "Yes. I like the cold, and rain, and the gray. It's soothing. I think that while they're not fashionable that turtleneck sweaters, and fuzzy socks, and uggs are supper comfy....the weather provides the excuse to wear them all the time!"

Edward chuckles intrigued and pleased by my joy in something so seemingly simple and small "What?" I ask smiling more he shakes his head and turns to the microscope, switching out the slides "Anaphase" he states "May I?" I ask and he passes it to me I look through the lens before announcing "Anaphase" making Edward smugly say "Like I said."

I ignore that and ask for the next slide and he provides it. As I look through the lens Edward leans towards me and gently brushes his thumb against the cut on my cheek "So are you going to tell me what really happened? Or are you going to come up with a better lie than what you told my sisters?"