Chapter 01: Returning home

Calista's POV
I sat in the backseat of my dad's cruiser waiting for him to talk to me since he was currently focusing on talking to Bella.

My heart was breaking, and sinking as I got the feeling that things wouldn't change in Forks from Phoenix given my father's reaction to meeting me at the airport......

~~~Flashback~~~
I got off the seat in economy class and grabbed my duffel bag from the cargo hold so scurried off the plane.

I looked around the big airport and frowned as I didn't see anyone that I recognized.....I'd take Bella, and she was really mean, but she had gotten a seat in first class since Renee paid for her plane ticket whereas I had to buy my own.

I fiddled with a lock of my hair, a nervous habit of mine, and migrated to the front of the airport. Surely that's where dad was waiting for us, right?

I looked around to see people getting into taxis or greeting their loved ones with hugs. My heart ached and I yearned to be reunited with my dad. I continued looking until a voice called out "Bella!" Making me turned around and come face to face with him, my father, Charlie Swan.

Charlie was a 42 year old man with a heart shaped face and gentle facial features. His hair was dark and looked to be onyx colored with golden hazel eyes. He had a slightly bushy mustache and plump pink lips that were pulled into a kind smile. He was tall, around 6'0, maybe 6'2?

I swallowed and smiled nervously as I awkwardly corrected him "Actually dad, it's Calista" he frowns and nods "Oh, right. Renee said you were coming too" he continues to approach me and I tense up before becoming excited, thinking that he was gonna hug me.....

Only for him to walk past me and look at the sea of people and ask "So where's Bella?" I tried to hide my slight hurt as I went back to twirling my hair "I, uhm, I'm not sure exactly. We were on opposite sides of the plane, I figured she'd get here before me since first class is let off first..."

Suddenly we hear huffing and puffing and we turn around to see a sweaty, red faced Bella carrying/dragging all her baggage towards us......

"Where were you?! You were supposed to carry my bags!" Bella snapped and glared at me "I didn't know that-! Besides couldn't you have grabbed a cargo trolley?" I said defensively "Don't argue with your sister, Cadence" Dad said making me look at him in disbelief.

"It's so good to see you again, Bella, here let me take those" Dad said as he grabbed a few of Bella's bags and gave her a side hug, that she cringed in disgust at, before letting her climb in the front seat "Help me load the car, Camilla" dad said as he walked towards the trunk of his cruiser.

".....my name is Calista...." I murmured feeling dejected by his response to seeing me again.

~~~end flashback~~~
I let out a breath and look out the window as I realized that he wasn't going to talk to me or even attempt to bond with me.....

And why would he? He has Bella. Bella was prettier, smarter, more popular, and just overall better than me. I've been told that my whole life, I guess that I was just hoping that my dad would want me, or at least look past Bella and see me.

But that would be selfish and asking for too much. I should just be grateful for what I have.

I'm knocked from my thoughts when the car stops and I look up to see a cute, vintage two story white house with a black shingled roof. I patiently waited for someone to open the child locked door. I couldn't climb upfront because of the cage.... I decided to knock on the window to remind them that I'm here.

Da- Charlie opens the door and has me help him carry Bella's baggage to her room. There's only one bed and when I point that out he waves me off and says "Your rooms in the attic, down the hall" I nodded and walked off. I ignored Bella slamming the door in Charlie's face.

I walked up the ladder steps to see a wall of boxes. I moved them to the side and find a full sized mattress laying on the floor with light blue sheets on them. Two pillows with matching pillow cases sitting on top of folded flannel blankets. Off to the side is two three drawer plastic dressers.

I smiled because this was better.

I unpacked and made up the bed, but before I could change and get ready for bed I heard a car horn honking. Curious, I climbed down the ladders and walked to the front door.

I exit and see a black truck had pulled up towing an older rusty orange truck alongside Charlie's cruiser. Two men are beside it talking to Charlie and Bella. One male is older and wears a black cowboy hat and bound to a wheelchair, the other male was younger and sort of puppyish in a sweet way.

"Oh my god! The truck is for me?!" Bella screams out startling me "Just bought it off of Billy here" Charlie says making Bella whirl around and smirk smugly at me "It's perfect!" She then takes the keys and struts over to her new car.

I shrugged it off, I didn't know how to drive, and I doubt that Charlie or Bella would give me a ride so I'll walk to school.

"Hey- uhh, I'm Jacob, Jake, err are you Calista?" I look over at the younger male who's approaching me and I offer up a small smile "Yeah, it's nice to meet you" he smiles back at me "So, are you going to school with Bella and I?" I ask hoping to make a friend.

Jake winces and frowns "No, I go to school on the Rez" "Oh...That's too bad. It would've been nice to know someone there" I said disappointedly as I took a seat on the steps after Charlie and his friend went inside while Bella went to take her truck out for a spin "Are you nervous?" He asks as he takes a seat next to me.

"A little...I've never been good at making friends" I admitted "Really? But you're really pretty- I mean nice! Very nice! Sweet even!" Jake says nervously making giggle and say "Thanks, I think you're really nice, and pretty, too" Jake laughs and runs his fingers through his hair nervously making me smile a bit.

Even if we wouldn't be going to the same school, I think Jake and I could be good friends.